TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Drag racers, some advice please?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Pinto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drag racers, some advice please?
    Posted: Mar/16/2008 at 11:56am
Hi guys,

I've been drag racing my 2001 Police Interceptor, and today I did a little bracket racing. Can you guys take a look at my #s and maybe see why it's laying over on the bottom end?

Best full-1/4 mile pass:
2.355 60'
9.848@73.74 1/8
15.166@91.79 1/4

2nd:
9.851@73.71
15.187@91.14

Today we ran 1/8th and this is what happened (please note that normally I race it in "D" and it shifts into 3rd right before the 1/8, today I had to manually shift it and hold it in 2nd at the lights):

Best:
9.785@73.15

2nd:
9.796@73.09

The part that gets me is the 1/8-to-1/4 calculators say the 9.848 is a 15.37 and the 9.785 is a 15.27. So what gives, is it laying over on the bottom, or does it just go faster then normal up top?

It's 4000+ Lb 2001 Crown Victoria P71-VIN Police Interceptor (239HP 4.6L SOHC V8, 4-Speed Auto, 3.27 trac-loc rear) that has a 2.5" cat-back, a K&N FIPK, and a Superchips Tune, no other mods.

I'd appreciate any advice or insight.

Oh and before anyone asks, 9.796 on a 9.79 dial. Too bad I red-bulbed at a -.043. AngryCry
Michael Pinto

73 AMC Javelin SST Trans Am Victory Edition - 360/727
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2008 at 2:27pm

First thing I see wrong is it’s not an AMC Wink

Now what was the air temp/humidity/bar psi between the days you ran then air psi in the car tires front & rear how full was the gas tank, how hot was the motor (gauge or light?) head wind, track slick, etc. between the days also. The other thing the full 1/4 was in “D” and the 1/8 you shifted right? you have a tac or shift light to know you where shifting at the same RPM as when in “D”. Also this is a computer car right so it is changing timing & fuel with out you doing any thing.

As you can see there is more to it than just mashing the gas. All I listed above should be entered in to a drag log book this way if all you get is 1 time run you can look over the log and come up with a dial in or see if some thing is wrong with the car.

The difference I think is you shifting and maybe the air temp.

Dave ----

Ps: yes I have log books from day 1 with my stock 75 v8 Gremlin

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Mar/16/2008 at 2:28pm
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2008 at 8:55am
What no other drag racers to put in thier .02 or did I nail it?
Dave ----
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2008 at 2:34pm
Forget the calculator. It's a reference and doesn't have enough inputs to compensate for other factors.
And the rest what he said.
Michael Pinto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Pinto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2008 at 4:37pm
Cool, well I'll try again tomorrow!
Michael Pinto

OhioRambler66 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OhioRambler66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2008 at 9:45am
I take it this car is a dedicated track car ? Because if you're still running with a stock interior at 4000lb. , maybe it's time to lighten it up . I took my beloved Malibu to a skeleton before I even started with motor , trans & suspension modding . You want to be light , but safety is paramount . I've seen guys hack the living hell out of their cars in the name of " lightness " , only to make an unsafe vehicle for any pass .

Edited by OhioRambler66 - Apr/13/2008 at 9:54am
1966 American 440 SW
232 w/1bbl
Michael Pinto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Pinto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2008 at 11:24am
No, it's a daily driver all the way. I simply hop in, drive 50 miles to the track at 70 with the cruise and A/C on listening to the stereo, make some passes in the high-14's without so much as even taking the spare out, then I turn around and drive 50 miles home. It averages about 22MPG while doing that as well.
Michael Pinto

idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2008 at 12:13pm
Michael.....

If you are not having traction problems at launch I would not change a thing....I would just learn
to adjust my dial as need for minor weather changes.....warm to cooler temps.....in your area
the temp does not change a whole lot so the changes would be small......watch the engine
temp so it is about the same each run........

I think 14 seconds with that car and engine is very good........................

As PM said forget the calculators  just run  the car......have fun...

Edited by idrambler - Apr/14/2008 at 12:16pm
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
nator View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2008 at 3:15pm
your rear end gear is better suited to 1/4  mile ,that is why it is slow in the 1/8 mile,if you were only going to to run 1/8 mile a 4.56 or 4.88 gear would work better
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2008 at 9:35am
Originally posted by idrambler idrambler wrote:

Michael.....

If you are not having traction problems at launch I would not change a thing....I would just learn
to adjust my dial as need for minor weather changes.....warm to cooler temps.....in your area
the temp does not change a whole lot so the changes would be small......watch the engine
temp so it is about the same each run........

I think 14 seconds with that car and engine is very good........................

As PM said forget the calculators  just run  the car......have fun...

Yep!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic