TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Adding a/c to a non-a/c Hornet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2014 at 5:43am
I sold an American Air set up for a Gremlin or Hornet just recently. They are getting very tough to find, especially one that isn't damaged or cracked beyond repair. It's actually easier to locate a good factory setup, even if you have to build it piece by piece.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2014 at 8:08am
I see underdash units in swap meets and at club show vendor booths.  An underdash unit is self contained and does not mix air from the vent system.  It re-cycles cabin air.  The will mount pretty much where the under the dash shelf is so that ends up being removed.  Once the under dash unit is obtained it then gets plumbed into a compressor with a condenser mounted in front of the radiator and a drier.  The under dash unit typically than cycles the compressor on and off.
Under dash units are available new from Vintage air in a couple of different styles.  I purchased one for my Donohue.
The unit itself is not a difficult thing to come buy depending on how prolific swap meets are in your area or just purchasing one from a vendor such as Vintage air.
A condenser is available universally in a generic form.  As are driers.  The hard part is locating A/C mounting brackets for the engine.
A salvage yard that still has A/C equiped AMC cars available are the best bet.  Jeeps and Cars with the appropriate A/C units.
And as stated and adapter gets the compressor replaced leaving only pulley drives to come up with.
My 76 Hornet was an AM-Air equipped 232 that i am re-using the AM-Air box in simply because I could salvage it.  The engine became excess as did the accessories as I have installed a Mercury Marine V8 and used GM mounting brackets for accessories.
Thus I have a whole box full of AMC-6 mounting brackets for the AM-Air along with the pulleys and such if some one is interested.
Here in Phoenix, it will be 100 degrees before the end of the week.
A/C is a necessary addition.

Edited by uncljohn - May/12/2014 at 8:15am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2014 at 11:15am
The American Air units were made of pretty flimsy plastic. I have one, but it's cracked up a bit. I think it's repairable with fiberglass, but don't know if I'm going to hold onto it much longer. The vents aren't in the best of shape either.

I'd use an underdash unit or an aftermarket Vintage Air or Southern Air unit. Would work as good or better, but of course would cost more than a junkyard setup. You can buy just the interior unit and salvage a compressor and bracket and a condensor though. ALWAYS use a new or rebuilt dryer, and you need new hoses to run R-134. You could probably salvage hoses from something less than 10 years old -- something with long rubber hoses maybe -- and have different ends put on if needed, but I prefer to use new hoses. They will eventually have to be replaced anyway, so it's save a dime now and spend a dollar later. You still have to spend that dollar, and have to repeat the labor. Still, sometimes that's cost effective and budget friendly...
Frank Swygert
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2014 at 6:43pm
I bought a couple of setups from Nostalgic Air. A phone call will allow you to mix components to get the largest condenser that will fit. Measure and go for the max because its cold air is a function of how much heat gets rejected by the condenser. If you have a 4 blade fan, you should upgrade to more blades and a shroud. And your engine cooling system needs to be functioning properly because the condenser will be preheating air before it hits the radiator. Seal around the condenser and radiator as well as possible because the air will try to find a path around them. You need to force lots of air through the condenser and radiator.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Lonestar1947 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonestar1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 3:51pm
Does anyone have an American Air under-dash unit they want to sell? I could put in a factory unit, but I like the corny tacked on look of these. I'm trying to keep my 1981 eagle kammback as original as possible. Thanks. There's one on ebay, but the price is ridiculous.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Lonestar1947 Lonestar1947 wrote:

Does anyone have an American Air under-dash unit they want to sell? I could put in a factory unit, but I like the corny tacked on look of these. I'm trying to keep my 1981 eagle kammback as original as possible. Thanks. There's one on ebay, but the price is ridiculous.

in fact i do have one, new unused. i bought it on eBay more than 10 years ago. it's reasonably clean but the plastic may be sun faded. it's black, with a faint milky fade. let me clean in it up tomorrow. PM me and i'll post pics etc. surplus to my needs so i'll be reasonable.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic