TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Marlin Rear Suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Rumblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin Rear Suspension
    Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 5:41am
I'm wanting to build my '65 Marlin for drag racing, but also plan to drive it on the street and roads. Of course I want it to hook at the track, but I also want to be able to put it in a corner with some crisp handling (while not at the track of course Wink). What style of rear suspension should I go with to replace the torque tube setup? I'm leaning towards truck arm since they handle good and it looks like the arms would act as ladder bars, but it seems like the heaviest way to go. I'm not crazy about adding weight to an already heavy car. Thanks for any input!
'65 Marlin 327/BW AT (for now)
'64 American 440H 401/TH400
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 4:07pm
With the intended goals and because of the vehicles design I would suggest an aftermarket 4 link setup with coil overs, there is no way you should run the nascar truck junk on it and needing to rid yourself of the torque tube you will need a whole new rear also. I would suggest you replace the rear with something that has aftermarket axles and strong enough that would be up to you, most just stick a 9 inch ford from an aftermarket source.
You will need a lot of safety equipment that maybe you are not counting on having in a street car like a roll bar and also to tie in the new rear you will need sub frame connectors.

here are some of the ruleshttp://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/nhra_legal_rules_regulations_time_brackets/

Mr Rumblur View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Rumblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2011 at 10:28am
Thanks for the link! I've got a 9" already and plan to go with a cage and connectors. Just curious, what don't you like about the truck arm setup? I've never had that setup or even owned a '67-'72 Chevy PU so not super familiar with it.

You're Javelin looks awesome! Do you race it? What setup?

Edited by Mr Rumblur - Nov/21/2011 at 4:34am
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2011 at 10:57am
The  arms are giant, they offer no real adjustablility for instant center, very long, very heavy. Try looking into control freaks, they may have a system you can weld in.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Rumblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2011 at 8:20pm
I gotcha. I'll check it out.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Rumblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2011 at 4:40am
Please excuse me for calling your car an AMX in my first reply. I've now edited it Embarrassed Not being real familiar with the differences, I looked at the front and didn't notice the blacked out center bar in grille at first. At least I accused it of being an awesome fellow AMC!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic