TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Air compressor problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air compressor problem
    Posted: Oct/13/2011 at 11:42am
5hp, 60 gallon twin cylinder single stage. Pump went bad. Bought a new pump also rated at 5hp. Does pump more air than the previous pump. Electric motor on the compressor has a 4.5" pulley. Problem is that when it comes on it will pump to capacity and shut off. Then will not restart because the motor got too hot and tripped the reset. Will not restart until it cools, then does the same thing.

Question is that the new pump is rated for either a 4.5" pulley or a 2.75" pulley. I know that if I change the pulley it will slow down the pump and will deliver less cfm. Will the smaller pulley put less load on the motor and possibly correct the problem? Any ideas? It is 220 volt.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2011 at 12:21pm
  Is your new compressor rated at the same hp and scfm as the old compressor ?

Most light to medium duty comprssors are rated at their starting  hp,  not their constant running HP.  When you look at their amp.  rating most of what are called 5 hp compressors are actually 2 1/2 to 3 hp.  The electric motor can only substain a 5 hp output for a short time without overheating.
  If your compressor pump requires a 5hp motor for full pressure you probaly need a more powerful motor,  or you can put a bigger pulley on the compressor pump and not run it at it's rated rpm,  which your current electric motor might be able to cope with.

Most compressors i've seen has quite a bit bigger pulley on the pump,  than the motor.  Like 2-3 times bigger.

Edited by tyrodtom - Oct/13/2011 at 12:25pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2011 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by target target wrote:

Bought a new pump also rated at 5hp. Does pump more air than the previous pump. 

There may be your answer - to get more output, you need more "input" - more load on the motor to get more air out.
Tom is probably on the right path.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2011 at 4:32pm
i had this exact same issue with my compressor a couple of years ago.  replaced the compressor head with a real 5hp then the motor burned up.. turns out the motors are not really 5hp they are like 2 1/2 with a capacitor start.  i ended up getting a real 5hp motor, believe it or not, cheaper than the original motor.  it now runs nonstop and never gets warm
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2011 at 11:32am

Not a motor or pump replacement but had my small Craftsman compressor not want to re-start after it pumped up and shut down kept tripping the motor over load. What I found was the motor was starting under a load! There is a check valve between pump & tank so when the unit re-starts it is not pumping against the tank PSI. This valve went bad on mine, replaced and all is good.

How did I find this you ask? The garage was 40*f and after running the motor was not that hot to touch to trip the over load and when it tried to start motor would hardly turn the pump. I tried to turn the pump by hand and had a hard time. Drain tank so no PSI and I could turn pump. Saw something between out put line & tank so I pulled it apart and the check valve came out in pieces.

Big compressors have un-loaders so the pumps do not start under pressor.

Just something to look into also
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2011 at 11:38am
  When your pump gets up to pressure and shuts off,  you'll hear a loud hiss.  That's the unloader check valve working.  If you don't hear that hiss,  it's jambed.
  I've never seen a compressor without one.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
gd5052 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gd5052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 8:21am
Had the same situation a few years back, Replaced original pump with a 2- stage and after running a few minutes would kick out motor, had to reset switch, Replaced pulley on motor with a smaller one and haven't had a problem since.

4.0 Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4.0 Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2011 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

When your pump gets up to pressure and shuts off,  you'll hear a loud hiss.  That's the unloader check valve working.  If you don't hear that hiss,  it's jambed.
  I've never seen a compressor without one.
If the Pressure is not relieved between the pump and the tank you will have the problem you are experiencing.
There is typically a check valve between the pump and the tank. Some units have a in tank check valve.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic