TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sloppy YJ Steering Warning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sloppy YJ Steering Warning
    Posted: Oct/11/2011 at 10:14am
Last year the limited plowing I did, I noticed the sterring was rather sloppy.  Briefly looked here and there and did not see anything obvious.  Just pulled my YJ plow vehicle out getting ready for the snow.  Sloppy steering and then no steering!!!!  I then noticed the steering box ripped from the frame because frame was so rusty.  I found aftermarket frame patch panels.   Just want to warn those out there.  It would obviously be really bad to lose steering while heading down the road.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2011 at 3:24pm
I dont think the patches where made to fix "rusted" frames. From what I heard the box pulls off the frame like the metal was to thin to start with. The patches where made to reinforce that area IIRC.
The other place the YJ likes to rust is the rear frame rails just forward of the rear spring hanger so look there too. I do not know of patches for the rear area of the frame.
Dave ----

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Oct/11/2011 at 3:25pm
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2011 at 4:22pm
Hi Dave,
THey advertise as such.  Here is what I am looking at:http://www.autorust.com/art102_xs.pdf
You cut the old off and weld a new one in but i have my reservations.  It's just a plow truck so I will probably be adding more metal plate to it but this looks like a good start.  Please let me know what you think.  They have patches for the 4 corners.  Quadratec and morris distribute for them.

Brian
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2011 at 6:14pm
I did a quick Google search and thru 1 of the 4wd sites & parts site and only came up with the repair for the old K5/K10 trucks. Other than what you came up with I did not find a thing for that or the rear frame rot so I guess that is the way to go.
I will check with my son, he has the YJ and has hunted info for it, as I think it was him that told me of the frame/box fix.
BTW have you checked out the rear frame areas yet you might be looking at a new frame and move everything over to it.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2011 at 8:57pm
Checked with the son and he came up with this http://www.quadratec.com/
and a link to the frame parts. Looks like the same part(s) as what you listed
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic