TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'63 Classic Wagon quarter glass seals?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '63 Classic Wagon quarter glass seals?
    Posted: Oct/07/2011 at 8:42am
I'm wondering if anyone repops the seals around the rear quarter glass for a '63/64 wagon BEFORE i take out the glass and (probably) ruin the seals. The current rubber on there now isn't in very good shape anyways... I checked Peter Stathes' site, but didn't see anything.
Thanks!!
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2011 at 8:55am
I was able to get mine out and reinstalled.  I was lucky because my wagon spent 7/8's of its life under a roof and out of the sun. 

Let me tell you it is freaky un-nerving taking the glass out.  Not wanting to damage the chrome trim inserts not wanting to damage or chip the optional tinted (rare) glass and then not tearing the rubber and THEN putting it all back. 

Ugly for a non professional backyard DYI (Do it yourselfer)

Edited by gtoman_us - Oct/07/2011 at 9:13am
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2011 at 10:57am
I'm sure no one repops it.  You might contact Blaser's in Illinois to see if they have NOS gaskets for the quarter windows, but I hope you are sitting down if they quote a price.  joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
estes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2011 at 12:01pm
Looks like I'll be painting around those things!!
Thanks for the quick response guys!!
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2011 at 12:05pm
Mac McCoy sells an extrusion (it's basically a long piece with no corners and you have to cut and glue it to fit). I bought them for my American and the extrusion wasn't even close in appearance to what was on the car (the car's gasket has a square profile, what I got was oval) so I sent them back without even trying them. I know of one other person who also had problems with it on an American. I don't know of anyone else who has used them but he claims happy customers and I don't have any reason to doubt him.

I also talked to Steele Rubber about having them re-poped for 64-69 Americans (may be the same gasket your car uses) and their estimate was $20-$25,000 for the tooling to make them (complicated mold and have to do a left and a right). There isn't enough market for them to do it on their own but they said they would do it if I payed for the tooling up front. If I could find about 50 other people to do this, it would probably make sense but that would put the likely cost per set in $600-$700 range.

There's another company I talked to (I think they're in Pennsylvania but I can't remember the name) about this that was willing to do an extrusion for a lot less than a full molded gastket (I think it was in the $1000 range) but I got busy at work and haven't pursued this further.

One other option is to make your own tooling and use liquid urethane to make them. I bought a book on doing this (also covers casting small metal parts) but the work thing was really in the way.

As far as getting them out goes, I used popsicle sticks to work the gaskets over the pinchwelds. It took a long time (and lots of popsicle sticks) to get each window out (about 4 hours total) without destroying the gaskets.

Matt

Edited by KermitDRambler - Oct/07/2011 at 12:06pm
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2011 at 1:58pm

I wanted my glass out for the media blasting and get the pinch welds recoated with epoxy primer and no tape edges. 

However if I can do it anyone can. 
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic