TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > In Memoriam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Topic ClosedIn Memoriam sub-forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: In Memoriam sub-forum
    Posted: Aug/03/2011 at 8:52pm
rather than have these in the middle or mix of who-knows-what sort of discussions might be going on at the moment, perhaps this can be a little more respectful away from the DIN and chatter.
This is reserved for NEWS OF an AMC'er passing, (or family member of an AMC'er) and condolences for the family, etc.
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 5:49am
Great idea!  We lost some true AMC "superfans" over the past year, I wouldn't hesitate to move some of them here when you come across them.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 6:42am
Good hint to all the mods!  Wink
71AMX4014SPD View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2014 at 8:21pm
I'm saddened by the passing this Sunday of local (Auburn, NY) Rambler/AMC dealership owner Delos "De" Hoskins. I knew nothing about AMC's when De Hired me when I was 23 years old, in 1975, as Parts Manager of Hoskins Motors. I really enjoyed driving my daily driver to work, a '53 Hudson Hornet, and looking in all the dusty shelves and finding NOS Hudson parts! You see, De was among the first AMC dealerships and he was given the Hudson side of sales in 1954. AND... he retired years later when AMC was bought by Chrysler, so he was there from the very beginning to the bitter end. He would entertain the workers daily telling tales of past years of AMC's (and the odd customers!) I learned so much over the many years of working there,(and was also sent to AMC parts school) and that's were my love of AMC's came from! In his later years, he enjoyed going to Gordy Chilsons AMC meets each fall and visiting with some of his old buddies, all former AMC dealership owners....RIP, Delos, thanks for giving me a dream job, I will continue to wave the AMC Banner!   
1968 Javelin 360 727 B/W/R
1970 AMX 390 4spd Bayshore Blue
1971 Jav/AMX 401 4spd B6
Matty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 9:11am
Hey all, I'm matty I joined last week. And was following the latest posts. I like what I've seen and drawn to the amc concept. I'm writing here because I have a brother who past this past spring. He owned his own shop in savannah Ga. He specialized in jeeps and he had a devoted following of customers who became friends. When he first started his business, a group of guys started a jeep club. And once a week they would get together and chat about thier jeeps and the off road rides etc.Anyway he owned a couple of amx's and a gremlin and he raced them. I wasn't part of that.one reason is I live in ny and don't have a clue about cars. But growing up in a large family I came to appreciate cars.Sowhen I look at photos and l would go to local car shows, I feel like a little
Kid. That is something I wanted to share. My brother was a good man and always helped when he can with his friends and his customers. Thank you
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 10:35am
Matt, Sorry to hear about your brother.
I lost my younger sister, Debbie, back in 2008 to cancer. She was only 49.
She was the reason that my wife and I got to be an AMC Family, because she owned a 1974 Javelin and got my wife interested in the Javelin.

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
Matty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 11:12am
Sorry also. My brother to was cancer. Battled and beat it once. Then it got the best of him. We was 52. I think it got to point where he was loosing interest in maintaining his bussiness and hobby.
0069X View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 1:45pm
None of my AMC friends ever met my Brother. He was 6 years older than me and was more of a Chevy, and Mopar guy. He never paid much attention to my AMX.
In 1974 while I was out of town, my Brother borrowed my AMX to go to the Mid Ohio Race track to watch the Trans Am racing event with several of the salesman from the AMC dealer my Dad managed. All it took was that 2.5 hr. round trip in my AMX to make him a believer, (and a huge AMC fan).
In the next two years, he purchased a 1968, and 70 Javelin, a 1968 and 1969 AMX, and two 1970 AMX's.
In Dec. of 1976 he passed away in that 68 Javelin, at the age of 32.
My Nephew still owns his 68 and 69 AMX, and my Niece has the 70 AMX.

Edited by 0069X - Nov/17/2014 at 1:49pm
Matty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 2:18pm
Holy cow!!!! Wow!!! Man don't know what to say. I like to share a lighter side of a story if I may....when I was a teen I a 76 camaro. It was a 4 speed 350 motor it was all fiberglass Ina a lot of spots. Sometimes I had to push start the car and I put my hand right through the corner panel. The car cost me 500 bucks. Anyway I had asked my brother to put in a high performance cam shaft in it because the one in it was shot. He said no and I asked why and he said you'll crash it and that wouldn't be good. Of course I said your crazy. One day I wake up and get ready to go to work and I go outside and my car was gone. A few hours later he shows up. The body was cracked from one end to the other because he got it stuck on a sand dune!! Go figure
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic