TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

blower motor relay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2011 at 3:28pm
that must have changed after the publication of the 1971 wiring diagrams - some mid-year change.
(cost-cutting, or prep for the next model year?)

In any case, troubleshooting would be quite similar.

I never go by the vendors as a reliable source of what car and year used what. IMO, it's not a reliable source of information.
Parts stores can be even worse.

Edited by billd - Jul/11/2011 at 3:30pm
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2011 at 11:36pm
Probably dealer installed AC vs factory. I see that a lot on Jeeps too.

(testing my edit)

Edited by carnuck - Jul/12/2011 at 12:04am
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 3:12pm
I know this is an old thread but want to add to it to help others.. I have a 73 Javelin and it has the relay you speak of. I believe you the car gets the relay if your car has AC .  Well my blower stopped working on low and medium which i have a feeling the resistor under the dash is either has corrosion or is broken.. Then recently the blower stopped working on high.. I took apart that resistor you are talking about located on the passenger side firewall engine compartment.. I tested it before i took it apart and had power to it but not coming out. It has 8 metal prongs you can bend back to inspect it..
 I did a resistance test and the coil inside was showing continuity . I sanded the points also.. I still had no power coming out of it.. I noticed a HEAVY amount of corrosion on the riveted terminals inside and the housing had corrosion inside also( there is a ground tab that contact the housing inside and must have a good connection.. I carefully dipped the housing and part of the coil assembly in muriatic acid then neutralized  it with backing soda and water. then dried the parts.

It worked i  have the high setting working again but still no low and medium. Have a feeling it is the resistor.. Going to save that check for another day.

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 3:26pm
AMC started using the blower relay for high speed on the A/C big cars sometime in the early 70's. The relay was mounted on the cowl above the blower motor. I guess they started using them on the small body cars as well. There is an A/C high speed relay retrofit kit that AMC offered. I have one on my 69 AMX. When I get a chance I'll dig up the part number of the kit and the date on the instructions. I see them on ebay from time to time.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by dsm6678 dsm6678 wrote:

I know this is an old thread but want to add to it to help others.. I have a 73 Javelin and it has the relay you speak of. I believe you the car gets the relay if your car has AC .  Well my blower stopped working on low and medium which i have a feeling the resistor under the dash is either has corrosion or is broken.. Then recently the blower stopped working on high.. I took apart that resistor you are talking about located on the passenger side firewall engine compartment.. I tested it before i took it apart and had power to it but not coming out. It has 8 metal prongs you can bend back to inspect it..
 I did a resistance test and the coil inside was showing continuity . I sanded the points also.. I still had no power coming out of it.. I noticed a HEAVY amount of corrosion on the riveted terminals inside and the housing had corrosion inside also( there is a ground tab that contact the housing inside and must have a good connection.. I carefully dipped the housing and part of the coil assembly in muriatic acid then neutralized  it with backing soda and water. then dried the parts.

It worked i  have the high setting working again but still no low and medium. Have a feeling it is the resistor.. Going to save that check for another day.

Both my 73 and late 71 Javelins with AC have the relay.

I figure that your issue could be corrosion on the fan speed connector at the switch, or even the switch its self. I soak old switches in paint thinner and work the action while wet. Then dunk them in alcohol, and work the action as I shake the remaining alcohol out. Then a light spray of TV tuner cleaner, which lubricates while not effecting electrical contact.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 9:34am
I dug out the relay kit. Apparently it was sold under several different part numbers. Early kits were 448 5922 or 448 5936. Instructions were numbered I-1006.
Later kits were 812 1212 and instruction pages were numbered I-1147. These instructions were specifically noted for the 1970-71 10 & 80 series.
This leads me to believe that this kit was produced in 1972 or after.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 6:33am
I put a relay on my 63 Classic for the high speed in an effort to get a bit more air out of it, did no good. I imagine the relay kit was to prevent burning the fan speed switch up, or rather reduce load on it, as I bet more people ran it on high for longer periods.

If the resistors are burned out you can use the resistor pack from a newer GM car and get similar speeds for low and medium. Will just have to alter the mounting. Most newer ones mount inside the blower housing so they get more cooling air than just under the hood like the early ones (my original 63, for example... which do still work). That would require modifying your housing. I don't know how long that type would last without air blowing on them.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic