TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 Ramber Color

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What color for a '69 Ramber Drag Car?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [19.23%]
4 [15.38%]
6 [23.08%]
7 [26.92%]
4 [15.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddandurand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2008 at 9:37am
lol black is winning and is my top choice. lol I can handle the heat when i doing 10s
'66 American
GremlinXman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GremlinXman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2008 at 9:48am
Originally posted by ddandurand ddandurand wrote:

lol black is winning and is my top choice. lol I can handle the heat when i doing 10s
 See now you have the right additudeClap 
 Sounds like you'll be building a nice engine. Gonna take 500 HP to get ya into the 10'sWink
 Davis
72 Gremlin X was 360 Auto ran 12.6 @ 107 now 406 CI Auto 11.035 @ 121
ddandurand View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddandurand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2008 at 3:25pm
Yes Ive been talking with people in another post about the math involved to make a 3200 pound car do 10s and what the optimal gear ratio for the car would be.

Ive learned alot from this forum and more than likely it will save me money in the long run. but hey Ill settle for whatever.

11.5 is my real goal but if i can break into the 10s I will be exstatic

I havent dropped any cash in the car yet, its still in the planning phase and dont have any intention on rushing.

Ive had 3 possible engines in mind

A AMC 360
A AMC 401

and i know im going to catch hell with this one, but a Chevy 383 stroker

but hey im ganna have fun with whatever i drop into it, and to me that is more important.

I would love to keep it all amc but the fact is that AMC Engine parts are really getting scarce, and are getting expencive.

I think some of you forget the big picture, have fun, work hard, and race harder.

Devin

Edited by ddandurand - Mar/13/2008 at 3:27pm
'66 American
GremlinXman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GremlinXman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2008 at 12:41am
Devin,
 I have followed that post on the math. It is correct. But I believe you are overstating your cars weight. I would estimate it at closer to 3000 with you in the car.  
 Keep in mind when choosing an engine, that the amc belongs there, and you will not have to custom fabricate stuff for it to fit properly. Headers are already made to fit, motor mounts ,, ETC. and it cost more or the same to build a chevy if you really think abbout it. with a 401 you are starting with good forged rods and a good steel crank. You will need to get pistons. If you go the route most do you will get custom pistons which cost the same  for most any engine. Machine work is the same cost so if you go with a chevey you will need to buy a steel crank, forged rods, and get custom headers, and other things you will have to fabricate to get it to go into the Rambler. Remember you are doing a rambler cause you don't want to be like the others with cookie cutter camaro's and Nova's and such.  It is easy to make lots of power with amc engine.
 Take my setup a 2800 LB gremlin 3015 with me in it. I ran 121 MPH the calculators say it should be a 10.80 run I went 11.035 with an early shift off the line. My street motor with stock stroke  crank and rods,decent ported heads and only 10.4:1 compression makes over 530 HP/ 500 ftlbs TQ on 93 octane pump gas. No roller cam, no power adders, and a small 850 cfm carb. Now the ET calculators say it should be good for 10.2 at 126 but I don't put alot into the #'s they give. They are great for working out your combination of parts though.
 I have a 5000 stall converter with a 727 tranny with transbrake, ford 9" rear with 4.11 and a spool, 28X10 slicks.
 I hope to see that 10.80 run this yearCool
 Davis

72 Gremlin X was 360 Auto ran 12.6 @ 107 now 406 CI Auto 11.035 @ 121
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2008 at 8:58pm

Silver with r/w/b stripes,lettering or graphics

67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
ddandurand View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddandurand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2008 at 10:28pm
lol no one has caught on that I listed the wrong year of the car its a 66 american not a 69, I was mistaken when i first purchaced it but it ok all the same
'66 American
Rebelmachineguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebelmachineguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2008 at 8:52am

I voted white for the reasons stated and because if the car gets serious, it can be repainted as a RWB fairly easily.

The difference between wearing a white t shirt and a black t shirt on hot day is pretty obvious. The effect on a car is no different. You aren't wearing the car but eventually the entire body will heat up to a higher temperature inside. That has to affect motor skills at some point. There's no escaping physiology or physics, so why impose a measurable handicap on yourself and pay to do it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic