TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Borg Warner T-10 Gear Lube??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Borg Warner T-10 Gear Lube??
    Posted: Feb/06/2008 at 6:19am
Hi Guys:
In my newly rebuilt transmission I filled it up with Valvoline 80W-90 gear lube which is the traditional oil (non synthetic nor a synthetic blend).

What are you guys running in the way of lubes for your manual BW T-10's?

Are any of you running the more modern synthetic gear lubes?

If so, how do the syncro's work and are there any upsides or downsides in running synthetic vs traditional dino jam?

Just Wondering....
Art In Connecticut

Nothing Lasts Forever... If you give it enough TIME

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

1991 ERA Cobra Replica - 428 & Toploader

2016 Tesla P90D with Ludicrous Mode

2011 Volvo XC60
stu in wichita View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu in wichita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2008 at 7:50am
I'm not a fan of Slick 50 products in general, but I swear by their gear lube.  I've used it in all my manual trannies for years, including my 68 AMX. 

I'm not sure if it's synthetic or not - I think their pitch is the addition of Teflon.  Whatever the gimmick, I'm a believer.  It makes my trans noticeably quieter, and I've always been impressed with the smooth shifts.  
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2008 at 8:37am
I used Amsoil synthetic gear lube in my T10 for 10+ years before I swapped it out for a T5. It shifted fine, I didn't notice any changes. Using the synthetic made me feel better.    Scott
XJ-001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2008 at 2:44pm
I use Mystic JT-6 85-140 synthetic blend in mine. Shifting is great, and the stuff sticks almost like glue to the gears. We've used it for years in all the manual trannies we sold (B/W T-84 thru T-15) for Jeeps.
1970 AMX 390 4spd

1970 Javelin 390 Auto (Project)

2002 Grand Cherokee Overland Edition

2002 Olds Intrigue (The Other Orphan)

Bloomington, MN
Brek View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2008 at 2:37am
I am currently using Mobil1 75-90 synthetic and I have had no issues. This year I plan on switching to royal purple (don't know what weight yet).
69' amx best et so far 12.06 @ 115 mph
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2008 at 8:06am
Well it is good news that the synthetic gear lubes have no adverse effects on the T-10.  I do think I might go with the Amsoil AGL Gear Lube.  I contacted their tech support department and that is the lube they suggested I use in the T-10.  I will have to go to a parts supply shop a few towns away that carries Amsoil products. 
I will leave the current gear lube in for about 1000 miles or so then drain it and put in the new stuff.
thanks for your input guys.

Art In Connecticut

Nothing Lasts Forever... If you give it enough TIME

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

1991 ERA Cobra Replica - 428 & Toploader

2016 Tesla P90D with Ludicrous Mode

2011 Volvo XC60
SS/AMX-MM View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS/AMX-MM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2008 at 1:57am

I now use ONLY Torco SAE 85-140 gear oil

There is nothing I have found like it! With the side cover off I can see this oil climb the gears like nothing else I have tried over 40 years. I use it in both the rear end & transmission. NO I am not a Dealer for them. LOL

Sr.

Edited by SS/AMX-MM - Feb/09/2008 at 3:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic