TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Have you worked at am AMC dealership?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2018 at 8:58pm
Thruway Motors in Nyack NY. 1981. Worked in the parts department. That dealership was just switching over to microfische. Didn't think about buying up whatever NOS stuff was out there, besides i couldnt afford to buy much. At that time just a 20 year old kid with a 70 AMX. Did get a set of exhaust tips but they were superceded 1971 clamp style.
racerM95 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerM95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2018 at 6:10pm
Eastwood Jeep Eagle/Renault  Winnipeg Mb Canada
Parts Dept, and Sometimes Service Writer..
HCAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2018 at 8:45am
WORKED AT H.F. CLARK MOTORS WESTMIFFLIN, PA
ken walker
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2018 at 11:02am
I worked at Tarbox Motors on Post Road in North Kingstown, RI, back in 1976. It was after high school and before college. They were a Pontiac and AMC dealer at the time. They were a small dealer by today's super size standard. I worked in the new car prep dept.
I remember a Japanese customer wanting to buy a new car. He was looking at a Pacer and asked me why the inside area of the rear bumpers were already starting to rust. I just shrugged and said that it was just surface rust and not to worry about it. He didn't go for it and ended up buying a Pontiac Astre. Oh well.
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
racerM95 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerM95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2020 at 6:53pm
Eastwood AMC Jeep Renault, Winnipeg Manitoba Canada  80's
WiSeNhEiMeR View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WiSeNhEiMeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 6:10am
" BRUCE AMC / JEEP / renault " DEALERSHIP

2500  NRW ( National Road West = aka: US-40)
Richmond INDIANA 47374

"Cousin Bruce" HOUCHIN became a Millionaire sell RAMBLERS & then AMC's
He did his own FINANCING & "owned" every vehicle on his LOT ( NEW & 'used') 
BRUCE would purchase 10  J10's or J20's JEEP Trucks when the Factory ran a SPECIAL
It would not be uncommon to have TEN  identical J10 pickup trucks on the lot 
 ( usually I-6  258 cid / WHITE / Automatic Transmissions )

When BRUCE sold the dealership he still had one of the very  LAST ---  JAVELIN  AMX's
RED / Black Vinyl Top / & / Every option known to man / including a 4 bbl  401 / !

I was the "PARTS-MANAGER" up to the SALE & then worked for the NEXT owner  
"CAM" Sales ( Charlie Miller )   who was a retiree from AMC CORPORATE LEASING 

Don't Mind ME,

I'm Just a WiSeNhEiMeR

N.A.M.D.R.A. #398
jBacon View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2023 at 7:35pm
I hope you remember Jim Bacon! The reason the dealership changed names from Buran AMC to West Allis American was so that it could be sold to me.  I started at Buran in 1963-64 and spent 14 years in management there.  You are right about forming the first American Motors Car Club in 1967-68 at Buran.  Working with Jim Jeffords and Ronnie Kaplan, we started the American Motors race team.  I continued campaigning AMC cars until I left the dealership in 1977. I left behind many of my fondest memories.  

I crewed for Roger Penske for 14 seasons including the year he raced the American Motors Formula 5000 car.  I became very good friends with Roger, Mark Donahue, Bobby Allison and many other important people in American Motors racing history. I was fortunate enough to drive the red, white, and blue Gremlin and Javelin on the streets of Milwaukee.  I also drove the AMC Pacer (Centaur) at Road America in Elkhart Lake where it was clocked at 140 mph.
brahlf View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brahlf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2023 at 11:14pm
If this is Jim Bacon I thought you were still there in the end of 79 when I left.  I don’t remember Julius ever retiring, but my memory is not what it used to be.

I thought the change to West Allis American was to make it a Factory store.  Again I could be wrong.  

Again if this is Jim Bacon great to hear from you again.  Are you still living in Milwaukee?

Bruce Rahlf 
Bruce

1969 American wagon 290

1966 American Convert 290

1972 Gremlin X Factory 304

1978 Matador Wagon 360

1989 Jeep Comanche

3 AMC Eagles, not running yet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic