TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 rambler American 440

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2010 at 7:58pm
To out a 199/232/258/4.0L on a 196 crossmember you need two ~4" lengths of 2"x3"x1/8" (10 or 11 gauge) rectangular steel tubing. Drill them to fit on the rubber mounts on the engine. Mount the rectangular tubing in-line with the crossmember (open ends in-line) with the inside edge even with the inside edge of the mounts, 2" up, 3" wide. Lower the engine in place and mark the holes in the crossmember where the 196 mounts were. Drill and tap each for a 3/8" fine thread bolt. Fine threads are needed for adequate holding in the 1/8" metal. You can't get your hand inside with the rubber mounts bolted in place to use nuts, and if you bolt the tubing in place you can't get your hand in to bolt the mounts on.

You need at least 1/4" of space between the oil pan and crossmember. If the oil pan is too close cut some 1/8" or 1.4" plate and make shims to go between the crossmember and tubing. Tack weld the shims in place then drill and tap the holes through them also for some more holding power.

I've got my 4.6L stroker mounted this way, been like that since 2003, and was mounted that way from 2000-2002 in my previous car that was wrecked. No problems with the mounting at all, even held up in the wreck. I didn't need shims, but you may depending on how the engine is mounted. If you need more than 1/2" more height consider rotating the tubing 3" side up, or see if you can get some 2.5"x3" (or 2.5"x2.5") tubing.
Frank Swygert
64 amer440 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 amer440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 10:26am
I’m currently using a AMC 290 v-8 W/O power steering.Getting ready to install an 8.8 ford rear end from 89-92 Ranger with the v-6
64 amer440 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 amer440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 10:34am
I used the B/W tranny out of a 71 Matador the cops.used for a short while. Had it rebuilt for a 1,000.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic