TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'64 Rambler Driveline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2tires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '64 Rambler Driveline
    Posted: Aug/07/2010 at 4:25pm

Hello.

I have a '64 Rambler Classic Wagon that has its original 287, auto transmission, torque tube and rear end. I have added air bags all around on this vehicle. It has some transmission leaks and I suspect that fluid is getting into the torque tube.

I recently took it to a transmission shop that is owned by a older guy that told me he has been doing this work for 40 years and had worked on many Ramblers. The transmission operated great but I want the leaks stopped. I bought a kit and a large rubber like seal for the torque tube.

The guy went through the transmission and then informed me he didn't install the large/expensive rubber for the torque tube as it would be useless as the constant changing of angles on the tube as a result of the bags would just have it leaking again....Sounds logical but I would like some of your thoughts on this matter.

Futhermore if this is the case and the leaking will continue can I keep the transmission (just spent 600.00 on it) and change it over to an open shaft? I wouldn't have a problem changing the rear end also.

Your advice on this matter is appreciated.
N2tires View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2tires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2010 at 1:06pm
Come on guys..............I could understand the zero responses if I asked this question on the Jamician Bobsled Forum.       

But this is the AMC forum. Some of you have to have some knowledge about this. 
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2010 at 1:29pm
If you insist. 
The torque tube should be dry. 
There is no oil to leak out of the tube.
This does not make sense.
"he didn't install the large/expensive rubber for the torque tube as it would be useless as the constant changing of angles on the tube as a result of the bags would just have it leaking again"
Did you raise or lower the car substantially?
Would appear that the cushion/isolator would see the same movement as with steel springs.
In fact Ramblers (late 1950's early 1960's) were built with an optional air ride rear suspension.
N2tires View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2tires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2010 at 3:41pm

I don't have the car here so I can't give exact amount of travel. I suppose it has about 10"- 12" travel. The rockers are about 4"-5" off the ground when deflated and when fully inflated the fender opening is at the top shoulder of the tire.

I know this is not precise but the vehicle is 250 miles from me. 

I suppoose the thing that would help me the most is to know if I can use a open driveshaft with this transmission? And if I can can someone give me some of my options as what to use. I am pretty sure that if I can switch to an open drive I will have to change the rear end.

In the end I am trying to retain the engine and transmission as I have sunk some significant $$$ into both of them.

Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2010 at 7:42pm
Are you using the stock rear shocks?  If so the maximum height has not changed.  It does not appear the minimum height has changed. 

The stock suspension will be fine.

You can use the transmission with an open drive shaft if you would like.

I just don't see a need.
Rebel 327 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2010 at 8:18pm
I don't belive that the Trunnion (large expensive rubber) has any effect on leaking.  There should be no oil in the torq tube.  It only gets there from a leaking transmission.  The oil will degrade the large rubber thing even more.  If your transmission rear seal or yoke is bad, they can lead to leaks.  If the yoke is being subject to extreme angles and sliding inside the seal and being put in a bind, it may be ruining the seal.  You may be putting the whole torq tube under extreme stress if you are exceeding the factory limits on movement. Do the mounting flanges of the tube look bent? 
You can replace the whole drive train with anything you want but you will stick another boatload of $$$ into it.  These cars have their limits and you may be exceeding them. 
Rebel 327 4-speed
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2010 at 8:35pm
I'll take a stab at this too.
exactly what is leaking?
trans? are you sure? if so then there is a rear seal just as any other trans.
I don't see how you can be exceeding the design limits enough to damage it! There is simply not enough for aft movement to do so.
If its gear lube the tube needs to come off and the pinion seal replaced, again, from what I see on my disassembled 65 I don't see how your bags can be doing much of anything to do much damage. 
   Make sure you don't exceed the max original travel, or thereabouts, get that leak fixed and take it from there.
   Yes, you can use that trans with an open driveline. Pull the rear tailshaft. have it cut back to the seal area, you can do it yourself, but a machine shop can do a prettier job. That should then take a T10 yoke to gain length for travel. Rear axle and links and such would be your choice. the bag mounts and track bar can be transferred, or can be on a stock rear anyway.

I'm facing the dilemma of what to use for trans and driveline in my 65, stock, or open with  Jeep T400 and new rear axle.

I'd love to see how your bag setup is done.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
N2tires View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2tires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2010 at 9:03pm
Unfortunatly the car as well my TSM is in Ohio. But If there was/is transmission fluid in the tube it is a result of a bad seal on the transmission. And if there is oil/grease in the tube it is a result of a bad rear seal. So the tube should be dry. What is the purpose of the large rubber like seal and what is the result of it tearing or being damaged as a result of the up and down travel of the bags. I do have a habit of lowering bagged vehicles completly when parking. Is there a specific angle or point that I should look for at the front of the tube when completly deflated?     

I still have reservations about the possibility of breakdown on some of the long trips I am accustomed to. Getting help on this drivetrain in Sometown U.S.A might be difficult. I would really like to keep this car all Rambler but i'm not sure of the effect as the result of the bags. I will get some measurments of the ride height change and let everyone know. I suppose it would be more than the total deflection of the factory springs.

Again I would be intrested in complete details on what I need to keep the transmission and switch to an open shaft and rearend.
N2tires View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2tires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2010 at 9:08pm
Rebel 327 I tried to send you a PM but it rejected it because it said your box was full. PM me a phone # I have some questions.
N2tires View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2tires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 8:17pm
Farna................Where are you when I need you the most?????

Unhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic