TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Door Hinges - AMX / Javelin - How to Re-Bush?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2020 at 5:07pm
The pins and bushing bit would be similar to the later cars, the big difference is the spring that holes the door position open or half open.
I did a bit on rebuilding hinges - it's for Eagle, etc. - but much would apply here. I showed how to use store-bought pins and bushings.

Yes, the vendor replacements unfortunately are nothing like the originals in quality or life-span. Good luck finding oil impregnated bushings from a vendor. They'll be plain brass at best. 

Patience is the key. 

Like I said - these are different, stamped steel, not cast, the spring setup is different, but some is the same - 

http://theamcforum.com/forum/rebuilding-door-hinges_topic35873.html

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2020 at 11:17pm
5/16" is 0.002" smaller then 18mm. I used a Nissan door hinge rebuild kit for my car. Good impregnated bushings and pins were just a little longer then the AMC. Very little work with reamers on the drill press to make nice tight door hinges that should last another 50 years.
Did not have to drill anything.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2020 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

5/16" is 0.002" smaller then 18mm. I used a Nissan door hinge rebuild kit for my car. Good impregnated bushings and pins were just a little longer then the AMC. Very little work with reamers on the drill press to make nice tight door hinges that should last another 50 years.
Did not have to drill anything.

I see what you mean. 87-97 nissan bushings are an almost direct fit being only a tiny bit fatter than the 
originals. Pin appears to be the same size. I am goiing to stick with my brass ones and use lots of super lube when I install. Wish I had known about the nissan ones before I bought mine though.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2020 at 1:01pm
Why not buy a pair ready to go, fully restored with new rollers, new springs, actually better than new, from Dave?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2020 at 6:13pm
People have many reasons for DIY.
Cost, pride, logistics (shipping, duties, taxes, brokerage fees ...), just because I can ...
You post many things that are DIY and look like extremely good craftsmanship.
Actually jealous of some of the tools you have and the wealth of specific knowledge.

Who is Dave would be another question without more information?
I'm quite certain new members would like to know but dare not ask.
I'm not trying to be offensive here - just trying to help the Forum as a whole.

Thanks First Gear, those are the door hinge pieces used and "I" should have posted the information you did.

My apologies to others as getting carried away thinking everyone else has the same base knowledge is a mistake. Posting sources, links, part numbers, people contacts is important to keep AMC's going.

From a friend of mine - "Drive it like you stole it!" Have a great day.

First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2020 at 11:39pm
After installing some of the brass ones and having way more slop than before I rebushed I decided to go for the nissan ones. I bought pins from APD and they seem to be of good quality and are a direct fit even with the nissan bushings. I tried pressing them in without reaming etc and it did not work. The bearing cracked. 

I ended up wedging them onto an old hinge pin with some aluminum furnace tape chucking said pin into my drill press and using a file to turn them down enough to fit. I found .385 was just about right. When you dont got a whole machine shop you gotta be a little inventive. They arent engine parts so I figure if they end up slightly tapered they are still leagues ahead of the brass ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic