TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Borg-Warner T-10 Gear Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wotdahal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2008 at 1:11am
I'm getting ready to crack open my T-10 "V" to ensure its health before I install it. Since I'm swapping out an auto for this I have to say I've never driven an AMX with a 4spd so I have no point of comparison.

Now having read all this you guy have got me wondering would the "P" transmission gear set (2.43 / 1.76 / 1.47 / 1.00) be a better compromise with a 3.15 rear end (assumed std rear w/auto & GO pak)?
70 AMX - some assembly required
stu in wichita View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu in wichita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2008 at 4:43am
I've driven my 68 AMX with the "V" code T-10 and 3.15 gears for the last 25 years, so I guess that makes me some kind of expert, lol.  This combination was the result of the previous owner changing it from an automatic.

This is only my opinion, but the car is a little bit of a dog off the line.  Makes sense when you think about it - 1st gear with the 3.15 is almost the same overall drive ratio as 2nd gear with a 3.54.   But once I'm rolling (from 10 or 15 mph on), it's great.  There's just nothing like going through the gears with a close ratio 4-speed!  It feels fantastic, sounds cool, and always leaves me grinning like an idiot.
Big%20smile

I'm currently rebuilding my 390 and have the trans out to be freshened up at the same time.  I considered using the 2.64 low tranny, but didn't want the huge gaps between gears.  I also thought about changing the rear to 3.54 but didn't want to give up my highway mileage, since I drive to lots of out-of-town and out-of-state events.

First off, figure out exactly how you'll drive your car.  Everything in life is something of a compromise, and only you know what is important to you.  Your decision may be different, but for me, I'm leaving mine exactly as is.

wotdahal View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wotdahal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2008 at 9:09am
I understand compromise - 30 years with the same woman.

I don't where I might find the cogs but 2.43 for first gear sounds like something in between. Comments anyone?
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2008 at 2:30am
Well Gang:
The new 2.64 T10 is in the car with a fresh clutch, throw out and pilot bearing and universals.  Also, the AMXAMG's (MR. Mike Semeraro's)  refurbished 1969 Hurst (round stock shifter) is also in.  The original 3.15 rear gears have remained the same.

So how zit drive you wonder?

Vontastic!

Taking off from a dead stop is ALOT easier.  Also first, although somewhat shorter is indeed alot more peppy.  When I punch the go pedal I can break the rear tires loose.  Second is short but the RPMs are right on for power and torque.  Third is very VERY usable and fourth is the same with the same good (ha Ha) gas mileage.

Overall I am very very pleased with the 2.64 trannie. 

So how is the shifter?  Well it is very snick snicky clicking into gears with ease.  My former syncro grind in 2nd and 3rd is totally gone.  The last thing I have to do is install a new reverse switch for the backup lights.

I switched from the Hurst  T handle (which was on the car when I got it) to a nice early 1969 black Hurst ball and this is a nice feel and more original.  Mike outfitted my shifter rods with new clips and bushings and levers so they just fit and work perfectly.  BTW, the old shifter he worked on was one that was in the trunk of the car in a box of spare parts.  This is not the 1968 shifter but the later 1969 Hurst Comp shifter.  Mike even fabed a spacer block for me and a neutral adjust rod.  He set everything up on a spare T10 in is garage so all was perfectly pre adjusted and just bolt in.

I did have to fabricate, out of metal a hump plate that filled in the vancant area that was covered by the 1968 shifter hump.  Also, I picked up, one Ebay a really nice ceramic coated transmission cross member and also outfitted this crossmember with a new transmission mounting plate.

So I would be giving this conversion a big two thumbs up for the 390.

Next up is to install a complete new set of carpets.  But first I will be installing some Boom Mat in the floor and rear compartment areas.  However I will wait for some warmer weather as I do not want to install the rear plastic bezels in really cold weather.  Also I had the two cardboard panels reupholstered.  These are the panels that cover the interior frame just below the 1/4 windows.  I have to also install some isolation membrane over the holes in the side frame area.  The original tarred paper membranes were shot. 

I wish the warmer weather would hurry up and get here soon.  Frankly I am sick of winter!

Edited by 12Gauge - Feb/03/2008 at 2:32am
Art In Connecticut

Nothing Lasts Forever... If you give it enough TIME

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

1991 ERA Cobra Replica - 428 & Toploader

2016 Tesla P90D with Ludicrous Mode

2011 Volvo XC60
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2008 at 1:38am
Originally posted by 12Gauge 12Gauge wrote:

......So how is the shifter?  Well it is very snick snicky clicking into gears with ease....... 

That is the best description of a good shifting trans I've ever read.  Thumbs%20Up
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
wotdahal View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wotdahal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2008 at 1:10pm
Art,

My knowledge of the magic and mystery of the internal workings of a transmission is limited but growing. Does changing 1st gear's ratio result in all forward ratios being changed or did you change more than just first?
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2008 at 1:31pm
All the gears were changed to the new ones along with the input shaft.  Not a trivial deal since those gears are rather rare from what I have been told.  A local speed shop with vast history in 60-70's muscle cars also specializes in T10 trannie repairs and had an old set hanging around.  Just dumb luck.  Right place at the right time.
Art In Connecticut

Nothing Lasts Forever... If you give it enough TIME

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

1991 ERA Cobra Replica - 428 & Toploader

2016 Tesla P90D with Ludicrous Mode

2011 Volvo XC60
ehmc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2008 at 2:02am
Wot if you go back and read all the posts on T-10's you'll find your answer.
But yes in short - you have to change ALL the gears - you can't just change one.
The only "original" gear you can keep is the reverse gear assembly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic