TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Slip Yoke PROBLEM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2010 at 10:07am
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Agree, T-10 Yoke Info saved from the forums:

Summit sells a 1350 Joint 28 Spline Yoke that fits a Ford C-4, AOD, T5 trans,
you have to turn the O.D. of it down to the size of the AMC T-10 Yoke,
and needs to be machined shorter since it's longer than the AMC T-10 Yoke.

Summit Web Page Yoke Info - For 28 Spline Transmission Yokes

Ford Racing #FMS-M-4841-B  $55
  Steel, 1330, Ford, C4 / T-5 / AOD, 28 Spline

Hughes  #HUP-HP8840  $113
  Ductile Iron, 1330, Ford C4, 28 Spline

Strange  #STR-U1668  $210
  Stn Stl, 1350, Ford C4 / T-5 / AOD / Tremec, 28 Spline

Kevin, I bought the 4841-B yoke and brought it home this week.  It wasn't as big around on the barrell as my T-10 yoke (1.5" vs. about 1.56" for the AMC piece).  That's why I posted again with the other yoke from Denny's Driveshaft -  it's listed as being 1.59" in diameter, and can be turned down.  I don't know for sure that it has the right spline fit, but it is a 28 spline yoke.

Is there more than one size of AMC T-10 tailshaft bushing/seal?

Edited by whizkidder - Jul/17/2010 at 10:09am
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2010 at 11:56pm
oops, sorry, my bad, posting unverified info saved from an old thread Embarrassed
If ya have one in-hand and it's to small an OD that's real world data.
Unaware if there are different diameter tailshaft seals etc.......
It's gotta be a bummer AMC T-10 Yokes are so difficult to find / buy / replace.
Can see how they would easily get seperated from the transmission, left with the driveshaft.
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 9:06am
i got one i can/will sell if your still in a bind

PM me if your interested

Norm
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 10:43am
Originally posted by 390spirit 390spirit wrote:

i got one i can/will sell if your still in a bind

PM me if your interested

Norm
I'm not in a bind, as mine is still usable -- just got a wild hair and decided to go shopping for options on new pieces, as ours apparently haven't been produced for decades now...
Ron Frost
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 3:22pm
I had a ford yoke that fit my t10 also. It was too long as mentioned but it could have been ground down IMO. Teh seal looked too big once installed. could a ford t10 rear seal fit the amc t10?
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 9:40pm
The Ford T-5/C-4/AOD yoke that Summit sells is too long (easy fix), and smaller in dia. by .060.  I tried slipping a new AMC T-10 seal over it, and it looked like the seal would work.  I slipped it in the back of my tranny, and the AMC yoke had spread the seal out so the used seal would not seal on the Ford yoke.

The real problem is not the seal, but the tailshaft bushing.  You don't want .060 extra clearance on the yoke, or it'll flop around -- not good for the center bearing or the speedo gears.

The Ford yoke I posted from Denny's driveshaft is supposed to fit Ford full size rear drive (Crown Vic/Merc) autos from '93 to 2003, so should be relatively plentiful at the pull a part yards.  Since I don't have one in my hand, I cannot say if the 28 spline pattern will actually fit or not, but the barrell is .030 larger than the AMC, so could easily be turned down to fit both the AMC seal and bushing.
Ron Frost
910 nine two two 0563

JavmanBBG View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavmanBBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 2:04am
I toasted the yoke main shaft and tail housing on my t10.  I sent the toasted yoke in to strange and asked what they could do and mentioned that a ford yoke was smiler they said the splines where not right on the ford yoke and there was not enough demand to invest in the tooling to cut the splines.

I did talk to my uncle who is a tool and die maker and he said if it is not too deep cnc lathe it back to concentric and then chrome plate the part to the od required.  he said that is what they do in the shop he works in for the custom stuff they build or refurbish when the specs get off a little.  but he is also using $800,000 machines and building parts for the electrical industry so I don't know how cost prohibitive that kind of process and since I found a good used yoke and I did not need to pursue it any further 
bvallerand View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvallerand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 11:51am
so heres what we ended up doing. We had the tailshaft housing milled out to accept the bushing for a slightly larger more accessible slip yoke. And got the tail shaft seal to match. Then we had a custom drive shaft made by dynatec so the slip yoke and bushing and tail shaft seal are easy to come by if we need new ones. I don't have the exact specs infront of me but I'll post um when I get um.
It'll Be done soon...
Hollywood View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 10:09am
I am interested in buying that yoke for my 1968Amx 390 go pack 4 speed with 354 rearend. Hollywood 978 362 4455 thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic