TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Not really a tool question - new crane

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not really a tool question - new crane
    Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 7:16am
"Gantry crane" that is, already have my chain hoist hung on it. Plan on using it for several things:
Loading engines into the truck, loading and unloading antique engines that are not on trucks (the engine name for the carts under them) but the main thing for now -
Lower the Eagle engine out the bottom so there's no engine hoist legs under the car and in the way, then, when the engine is on the ground on some sort of dolly (haven't figured that out yet) I'll use this to raise the front of the SX/4 up enough to roll the engine and tranny and transfer case out from under it as one unit.
This is home built, an engineering company helped the fellow design it, then it was powdercoated. There's a couple scratches in the powder coating, but not serious. I can use some touch-up paint.
Nice heavy large casters make it simple to move on concrete floor.
It was used to lift race engines and in one case, lift a race car off the stands after they'd dropped the engine out.
They figured capacity at at least 1 ton (2,000 pounds) as that's how the calculated the sizes of things.
He's scaled back his racing (spring cars) to more local events and doesn't do as much, and no longer has the space or need for it.
It's hard to find one that's not a rust-bucket, or that has good wheels under it.
If I ever need to beef it up, I have some beams I can use.  But I'm figuring and hoping it will be more than enough for the SX/4 project.

Luke and I picked it up Saturday and unloaded it, I hung the hoist on it yesterday to see how that old hoist worked after having it in storage several years. It does fit in the back of a pickup, takes 4 guys to load it. We unloaded with 3 - and my engine hoist.

aus-cattle-dog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aus-cattle-dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 11:48am
that looks like a really nice unit i think it would do all of what you want.
83 cherokee                 red heeler        austrailian cattle dog           
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2010 at 9:56am
Got an old crossmember for a Hornet, Gremlin etc?
Just weld or bolt one or two large swivel casters on it. Bolt it under the Eagle drop it down on the casters once the engine and suspenion is out.
Unless the rear is coming out at the same time the front casters can be pretty close together.
Or one large rated single caster will even do!
  You could just build a Simple bolt in cradle to gain more height etc, I've also seen people use the bumper mounting points to.
   Nice looking Gantry!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2010 at 10:02am
Hey wrambler - that's a good idea. Now to find an old crossmember.
 Since the rear - the transmission/tc - will be supported by my transmission jack (4 swivel casters) a crossmember with a caster on each side would be good.
I'd drop the suspension and Eagle crossmember, then place the one with casters under and attach it to the mounts, and lower the engine to the floor. I like that idea - it's already the correct width with the mounts for the motor mounts.
I wonder if I got the crossmember for the old rustbucket SX/4 I picked up a couple years back.....

I jumped on this gantry crane fast because it looks nice, is very well built, has lifted a race car off the stands and it's powder coated! LOL
Most of all, it was 10 minutes from home!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic