TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Timing cover for AMC 232

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hornet_1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing cover for AMC 232
    Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 5:21am
Hi -- I have been searching for a timing cover for a 232 in my '71 Hornet.  I noticed there are new timing covers for the AMC 258 for sale on various websites.  The bolts holes appear to line up, but the timing mark scale on the new covers appear to be in a different position relative to the original covers I have seen for the '71 Hornet.  Will these new covers fit/work with my engine?

Thank you for your help!

ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 9:58am
I'm not sure about the timing marker but it should bolt up just fine. If you are still unsure about it just post an ad in the wanted section. There are plenty of guys pulling 232s out of their cars to make room for V8s. Somebody will have one and for much cheaper than new. I'd also call NAPA and see if they can get one specifically for a 71 Hornet.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2009 at 9:14pm
Around 74 some of the bolt hole sizes changed, but for the most part a later model timing cover, even a 4.0L cover, should fit. you might have to use some large washers on some of the holes as they were enlarged for a larger accessory mount bolt, and the timing pointer will be off, but it will more or less fit. I have a late 70s 258 cover on my 88 4.0L block, but don't need the timing marker for the EFI. 
Frank Swygert
Hornet_1971 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hornet_1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2009 at 5:01pm
I appreciate everyone's input.  I purchased a new timing cover from Quadratec.  As you noted, the timing pointer is off so I'm going to look into purchasing a new harmonic balancer with a timing mark aligned for this cover.  I found a new harmonic balancer for the AMC 232/258 with a timing mark that seems to be aligned for the later timing covers.  The balancer is similar to my old one, but with the tick mark pointing in a different direction at TDC.  I don't have the cover yet, but the mark seems to align with the TDC mark on the new cover.  

Edited by Hornet_1971 - Dec/17/2009 at 5:04pm
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2009 at 8:47pm
If you happen to have the head off, you can figure out where TDC is and mark your old balancer.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
pat walsh View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pat walsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2018 at 11:23pm
Hi all...this is many years after your original post so I hope there is still info that will help me. I have the same issue with my 74 232. My machinist is trying to set timing but the cover timing marks do not match the TDC. I found a new 11 bolt hole cover for a 258 that states the cover fits, but the old cover is a 9 hole cover. We bought several harmonic balancers but the timing marks all line up at about the 1:30 position on a clock, but the scale of the timing marks on the old are the 1030 location and the timing mark doesn't have a scale or marks to line up on. How did you resolve this? Do you have manufacturer names or where I can find the parts.  

Thank you
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2018 at 2:50am
232 and 258 timing covers are identical for the same year of each. 1971 232 = 1971 258.   
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2018 at 6:26am
The extra holes were added in 74 when accessory mounts changed. Sounds like you actually have a 73 engine, not a 74. On the sixes there is a code number stamped in the block just in front of the distributor near #3 spark plug, right where the block and head meet. It will be three numbers, a letter, then two numbers. The first number is the year code. That started in 1959 with a "1" as 1959, consecutive up to 9 (2 = 1960, no zero used), then repeats with 1 in 1968. So a 73 built engine would be 6, 74 7. You have to know the year range an engine type was built for the years to make much sense, but the letter is the engine size, so designates type. In your case it should be an E (1V carb) or G (2V).

The engine plant went by CALENDAR year, not model year. The code as well as changes to engines. So if you have a 74 model car it could very well have a 73 style timing cover. Timing mark location changed in 74 with the cover change. The marks on the balancer also had to change to correlate with the cover marks. Balancers interchange, covers should also. The 74 change added some bolts and changed sizes of some, but should seal against the block -- use washers with the smaller bolts. I haven't done that myself, but others reportedly have.

You could have a 74 style balancer and a 73 and earlier style timing cover, or your balancer could have slipped. For now I'd just set #1 to TDC and mark the balancer. You can then measure the distance between the original marks on the balancer and transfer them or use a timing tape. Local speed shops might have a tape.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/MSD-8985-Timing-Tapes,5433.html?sku=5478985&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoLe8mLGM2gIVXrbACh2SKAYBEAQYAyABEgJwYPD_BwE

Honestly, I always set "by ear". Get it close, test drive up a hill with a good pull on the engine, and if it pings turn down a little and try again. Pings sooner/more? Too high, turn back down a little. Stops pinging? You're good. "Down" is the direction that the idle slows when running. This gets you the most timing for the fuel and conditions. That said, change those and you might have to bump timing one way or the other. Easy to do, just keep a wrench for the hold-down nut with you. Do this on a cold/cool day and you will likely have to adjust down a little on a hot day. Once you're there you're good though. You want to run as much timing as you can for best performance and economy. Still keep that wrench with you, if traveling and you change altitude a lot you might need to bump down, and different areas use different gasoline blends now, and that can affect timing.
Frank Swygert
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2018 at 7:28am
The timing cover changed when AMC went to electronic timing at the engine plant I think. The timing mark then began to be read on the driver side of the engine. The new style balancer is used with the new cover. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
pat walsh View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pat walsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 12:02am
Great info and it did the trick...thank you ll so much
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic