TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

196 OHV Torque Specs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 196 OHV Torque Specs
    Posted: Jul/07/2007 at 3:39am
I need the torque specs for a 196 OHV Inline Six. What I need are the numbers for the head bolts and the rod and main caps. Thanks
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2007 at 4:40am
From the 64 TSM:

Head bolts= 58 to 62lbs.
The torque sequence is start on the pass. side center bolt. Tighten in an expanding circle until you reach the farthest bolts from center. Run the engine up to operating temp and torque again.

Rod caps= 27 to 30lbs. dry

Main caps= 66 to 70lbs. dry
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2007 at 6:52am
A suggestion, and this is how I was taught (I like this method, makes sense) is to torque the bolts in phases - do the pattern like said but only torque to about 1/3 final torque, then do it again, to about 2/3 final torque, then again, to final torque. I also then run the pattern again, to double-check.
If it's a large item (like a flat head or a 6 cyl head) I may split it into 1/4 instead of 1/3.
This way you aren't tightening one spot down a lot more than the others. It's amazing how much a part, even a head, will "flex".

Wheel bolts should be done the same, in sequences, about 1/3 final torque each time.
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2007 at 8:10am
Excellent advice Billd! Wink
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2007 at 10:47am
Just remember that the OHV head needs to be retorqued every 10-15K miles or every other year, whichever comes first (TSM states every 8K miles as part of the recommended "major" tune-up).  There's something about the engine design that requires this. The "no retorque required" gaskets mean no retorque after initial torquing down. Used to be you installed a head gasket, warmed the engine up, let it cool, then torqued again. That was ages ago -- I've only bought one NORS head gasket that had sat on the shelf for 20 years 20 years ago that had to be done that way, and it was a flathead gasket. The flathead six requires the same maintenance.  I put 6-7K a year on the 195.6 OHV that I ran for 14 years and torqued the head every other year with no problems. I doubt many people drive one that much in a year anymore, maybe two years. The head gaskets made now are a bit better than the originals, but you still need to retorque as stated. You can go more than 8K, but don't forget to do it! Good 195.6 OHV heads are getting scarce because people forget th eold cars need lots more maintenance than new ones.

I've never had a problem with a flathead six blowing gaskets, but I only ran one about two years long ago -- not long enough to blow one!  That car had sat for several years before I started running it again, but I dropped half a lock washer down a sparker hole about a week after I got it running. Didn't know what it was at first, but the hammering sound clued me in that something was wrong and likely had fallen in. After pulling a head that had been undisturbed for 20+ years off over 21 or so studs, I was REAL careful about those spark plug holes! 
Frank Swygert
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2007 at 1:40am
Many thanks gentlemen!
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic