TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Building An Eagle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building An Eagle
    Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 11:46pm
To begin, I am the youngest of 3 sons, my dad wheels a '79 Jeep Cherokee, and both of my older brothers have Suzuki Samurais, I turned 16 a couple months ago and decided it was time to get my own rig.  Being the AMC fanboy of the family, I wanted to build an Eagle, I found one in the local classifieds for $225 that is in fairly good shape and just needs a trans service.  Now comes the problem, I need to lift it.  I have heard that in order to lift these you need to swap out the suspension with that of a Cherokee XJ, because the Eagle has indepent front suspension, is there a cheaper or easier way to lift one of these than buying an XJ and ripping out the suspension?  Also, I want to be able to run atleast 33" tires, preferrably 35"s, how much of a lift do I need to run that?

Thanks in advance
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 6:57am
How much lift do you want?
You can use balljoint spacers on the top control arm - and longer bolts (grade 8) to gain an inch or so. You'll need to buy them or have a machinist make them for you - aluminum will work. You can only go so far or you end up with some real angles on the front half-shafts and cause premature wear and binding. You also need to be aware that it will toss the alignment all out of whack - and with the eccentrics there's only so much camber adjustment. Springs spacers in the front are NOT good but can be done. I prefer the balljoint spacers.
You can remove the fender trim for more gain - it's just a plastic sort of material.
For the rear, you can use blocks, but different springs would be the best bet as blocks cause axle wrap. But since the axle sits under the springs on an Eagle, blocks will lift is.
Buy new springs, specify what you want. Pricey but will give you stability.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic