TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Transmission kick down cable problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission kick down cable problem
    Posted: Sep/27/2020 at 11:21pm
I have a 65 American 440 sedan with the 232 and 3 speed automatic transmission. Ever since I reconnected the kick down cable post carburetor rebuild I've been having transmission problems. First it was shuddering in drive then i learned that the cable had to be adjusted. I got the cable adjusted by my mechanic and now the shudder is in reverse. The TSM says that the transmission oil pressure is controlled by the carburetor throttle valve. So is there a valve in the carburetor that needs to be adjusted or is it just that cable? That might be a stupid question but I can't get any hard and fast answers anywhere. The carburetor is a Carter 1 bbl 3888S.

Edited by Rambleman65 - Sep/28/2020 at 2:12am
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2020 at 12:46am
Throttle valve is in the transmission and is controlled by the cable from the carburetor
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2020 at 6:46am
The cable should push IN when the gas pedal is pressed. I've seen this reversed on adapted carburetors, kind of hard to do with all stock linkage. Mid 60s TSMs state that the initial adjustment should be done with the linkage in idle position (pedal not pressed). Make sure the choke isn't set -- it should not be in a fast-idle position. Adjust the clevis on the cable to a "loose pin pit" -- the pin holding it to the carb linkage should easily slide in and out. Then adjust the cable two full turns long. That gives you a starting point. From there, lengthening the cable will increase pressure in the trans and make for slightly faster, firmer shifts. In my experience you can't really go more than about two full turns longer, with 1 to 1.5 preferred. At two full turns the trans will prematurely down-shift going up some hills as you press the gas pedal to hold speed. The cable acts as a kick-down as well as controlling internal pressure. If you are under 55-60 mph or so and the cable "bottoms out" the trans will kick-down to second gear. You might have the gas pedal down far enough pulling a short steep hill but not really want/need to kick down. I ran mine at 3.5 turns after loose pin all the time. That was in a 63 American with a slightly hopped up 195.6 OHV and 3.31 rear gears. A big car might not "like" 3.5 turns total, as it takes more throttle to hold speed (heavier car).

Later 60s and early 70s TSMs just give a pressure reading. The "two turns after loose pin fit" seems to work well even on later cars.

It's important that the cable moves freely. Hold the clevis between your thumb and one finger. You should be able to push it in and pull it out easily. If it takes more to hold and move it than that the cable isn't free enough. There is a light spring in the transmission on the valve, but I don't think it's enough to push the cable out once it's pushed in, not by itself. It's there to "help" the throttle linkage, that's all... IIRC.

If the cable isn't easy to move it must be removed. You can then coil the cable and soak it in penetrating oil in the bottom of a bucket. The outer plastic covering may come off, but that's not an issue (actually a help later!). I use a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone, with the bucket covered (a lid is preferred, but a towel will slow evaporation of the acetone). I usually soak it overnight, then remove, dry, and work the cable to make sure it's free. May take another soaking (add a little acetone as it evaporates easily) and working to free up entirely. Once it's free dry it off and reinstall. With the plastic covering gone spraying it once or twice a year with penetrating oil will keep it free.  The oil will penetrate between the coils of the wire covering, something it can't do with the plastic outer shell.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic