TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Roller Cam/Lifters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roller Cam/Lifters
    Posted: Sep/23/2020 at 7:17pm
I know this has been kicked around on other forums (and yes I did a topic search here, titleds at least). Has this been done by any one other than the factory. Yes roller lifters were installed in engineering 4.0s. I know this for a fact because I watched the blocks being machined for the system to hold the orientation plate or what ever the system that was used. The blocks were actually machined on a Kearney and Treker 400 HMC located in the KEP Tool Room. I even know the name of the operator that did the machining. Sometime in the early 90s iirc. Probably around '93. I think they did a total of around 50 blocks.
Looking at a 4.0 blocks top deck I could see where getting a pair with the retaining bar in would be really tricky due to the casting webbing in between the pushrods for cylinder. The easiest options I could think of be either cut out the webbing or install straight thread plugs that would allow access to the area above the lifters to install the lifter bar retainer. Another option might be to actually use the plug to maintain orientation. 
74 Hornet, 75 Pacer, 68 AMX, 77 Hornet, 82 Concord, 84 Wagoneer
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2020 at 10:42pm
ooh interesting. following this.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2020 at 8:27am
are there any water jackets on that side of the block ? 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Spin Doctor View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2020 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by matty 401 matty 401 wrote:

are there any water jackets on that side of the block ? 
Yes, in between the pushrod/lifter galley and the cylinders
74 Hornet, 75 Pacer, 68 AMX, 77 Hornet, 82 Concord, 84 Wagoneer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic