TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

suspension mods and wheel fitment on a wagon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72ambassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: suspension mods and wheel fitment on a wagon
    Posted: Aug/08/2020 at 3:39pm
i cant seem to find it. whats the lug pattern on a 1972 ambassador? also how wide of a tire can i fit under my 72 wagon when i lower 4 inches. thinking a 255/45/17 up out back and a 225/50/17 up front?

also what are my options for lowering it? i cant seem to find any suspension parts to acheive the 4 inch drop i want and i dont feel like cutting coils.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2020 at 4:31pm
I do believe the late uncleJohn, cut his coils too much and got a 5 inch drop. Which was not good for driving.

You could do a spindle drop up to 2.5" I think. You may cut a coil to bring it close to 4" drop at the front.

A fat man or CF front suspension would come down to 3" drop with 2" dropped spindles. You will be adding a rack to make the cost more expensive. Any lowering will effect geometry.

All AMC cars from 67 on up use 4.5" on 5 lug patern.

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/08/2020 at 4:36pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
72ambassador View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72ambassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

I do believe the late uncleJohn, cut his coils too much and got a 5 inch drop. Which was not good for driving.

You could do a spindle drop up to 2.5" I think. You may cut a coil to bring it close to 4" drop at the front.

A fat man or CF front suspension would come down to 3" drop with 2" dropped spindles. You will be adding a rack to make the cost more expensive. Any lowering will effect geometry.

this is great information. everything on here is super useful and i really appreciate the stuff! you know what the widest tire i can go is? would like to go a 10 wide but i think a 9 wide would do, just like the look of 10. thanks a ton!
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2020 at 5:43am
The spindles on AMC cars are two piece. There are drop plates that you can make that will raise the spindle compared to the knuckle, effectively lowering the front. The most common example of these plates is a sticky on this chapter of the forum, or just google 'AMC drop plates'.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2020 at 6:00am
Originally posted by 72ambassador 72ambassador wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

this is great information. everything on here is super useful and i really appreciate the stuff! you know what the widest tire i can go is? would like to go a 10 wide but i think a 9 wide would do, just like the look of 10. thanks a ton!

To put anything beyond 9" you wold need to roll flair out the wheel openings.

Note the drop plates will push the offset out, by the thickness of the plate. Usually 1/2", which also effects KPI. Fortunately it's not a big deal considering, some other makes are limited even more so with wider wheels.

To get some room, you can use a custom coil over setup, which can be adjusted on height, without cutting a coil.

Since you prefer not to cut springs, and want 10" rims. It's more costly, but it brings more options on the table for getting the looks you want

If one has a pre 70, our member 343sharpstick has a kit to convert trunion to coil over. It's under Dairy Land Fabrications.

It will allow dropping as well. But to get down to 4" will require some extra work with upper arm lengthening to keep the geometry proper.

I did a wee touching of lengthening by cheating spring saddle placement on the upper arm. You can get about 1/2" more length by drilling mounting holes back offset from oem locations. With AMC or modded saddle for coil over shocks, there is no need to do any other mods. For me I did a lot of rework, mostly because it's not stock.

On a budget without spending on coil overs, you can use Mustang spring saddles with amc pins. It will drop you by 2" though you will need to use Ford springs. I modified my system to use 70 Mustang shock towers, they fit just fine over stock mounting studs. Just drill new mounting holes and move studs to the new mounting locations. It gives you a ton more shock options for you.

It will put you into the 4" drop range with the spindle drop plate. I would do the Ford Mustang springs and saddle change first and see how much drop you can work with. It won't require offsetting the spring perch mount, since your only dropping 2" max with suspension travel at rest.

On fix for better geometry is to use a longer or spaced upper ball joint.
A cheap alternative is GM truck, but modification to the AMC upright stud hole diameter and upper arm needs to be done. You can cut 1/2" to 3/4" Thick plate or block to make custom spacers to drop the AMC upper ball joint.

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/10/2020 at 6:08am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic