TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

overheating 66 Classic 232

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by bbrooks2 bbrooks2 wrote:

While I had the thermostat and water pump off I blew compressed air back and forth through each opening while sealing it off and I got some crud to break loose. I reassembled everything and it's working! I let it run until the thermostat opened and rusty water started circulating. It looks like someone used stop leak so I hope it's not a bad head gasket. I'm going to do Prestone flush and drain until I get clean water running.

I cant drive it right now because its behind my 59 El Camino project but I will give it a test drive ASAP.

What size are the passages and what happens if one is still plugged?   

If the head still has plugged passages bad things can happen ie a cracked head because of a hot spot. I'm sure others will chime in on the best course of action. I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to take the head off and rod out the passages with a coat hanger or some other piece of wire especially since it has evidence of having head gasket issues. It'd be the two birds with one stone approach. I'd do the same with the block and replace the freeze plugs.

The other option would be to take the valve cover off and look at it with an IR camera or thermometer and if it seems ok just flush and drive. I'd install a particulate filter somewhere though.

Edited by First_Gear - Aug/16/2020 at 4:06pm
bbrooks2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2020 at 9:21pm
Well I have been letting it run with the flush and I must have cleared out the old stop leak because I now have a leak behind the exhaust manifold and too close to see where its coming from. I hope it is the small core plug and not the head gasket but I will find out.
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
It's not how many words you use it's how you use your words.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2020 at 10:25am
Replacing a head gasket on one of these old cars ain't that bad if your a little mechanical. Just keep everything organized all lifters valves springs etc need to go back in the same place they came out of. Use the correct torque pattern and use a torque wrench. Have the head resurfaced and check the block for flatness. Might as well have the valves and seats ground if your in there and clean out all the carbon in the combustion chamber. Most use an old egg carton to keep everything organized. If you don't have the tsm get a copy.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2020 at 11:02am
Originally posted by First_Gear First_Gear wrote:

Replacing a head gasket on one of these old cars ain't that bad if your a little mechanical. Just keep everything organized all lifters valves springs etc need to go back in the same place they came out of.
Why all this just to remove a head?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2020 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Replacing a head gasket on one of these old cars ain't that bad if your a little mechanical. Just keep everything organized all lifters valves springs etc need to go back in the same place they came out of.

If you have the head resurfaced doesn't it need to be stripped down?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2020 at 3:00am

Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

If you have the head resurfaced doesn't it need to be stripped down?
no.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2020 at 5:22pm
You live and learn! I did my valves when I pulled my head off so I guess I had to tear it all apart.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2020 at 11:21pm
Unless it is a relatively new engine, low miles, and few years on it, any engine 30, 40+ years old, it's silly to not tear it all down and do the whole job. It's just not that much work. If the oil is changed regularly and the engine not chronically overheated, most of the wear in the engine will be in the head. 

Here in expensive Los Angeles a cylinder head swap is under $300, for comparison, and that's from a top-notch cyl head only place.

I'm skeptical to begin with; not cynical, skeptical: why a 232 needs a new headgasket in the first place.It's unusual.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic