TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Continental kit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Continental kit
    Posted: Jul/27/2020 at 5:59pm
Anyone have any experience adding the factory continental kit. I am considering adding one to my 60 American. Does it just bolt on to the fender mounts, or is there more modifications needed?
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2020 at 6:27pm
I had one on my 1955 Nash rambler ,pretty much the same. The bumper the same but there a filler panel that spaces out the back bumper to bolt the continental kit on. I never had it off , but you do need all the parts . But the bumper is the same just spaced back considerably.  But it been a long time since I had the car, LRDaum
LRDaum
hatchet View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2020 at 7:14pm
Thanks, MrAMC.
If I have all the parts. There shouldn't be any drilling, or cutting.  Just bolt on.
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2020 at 6:45pm
OK ,BUT Remember my 1955 Nash rambler Country club coupe came from the factory with the continental kit , so never installed it. Also it's been a while, so here goes. There are bumper extension put those on first, then there a space panel to take up the space, with a hole for the tire setup. You will most likely have to do a little drilling. The kit bolt for the tire mounts to back panel below the truck. There a handle on the tire mount to tilt the tire back . That so you can get the key into the truck to open the truck other wise the tire mount prohibits this. I think there are four mounting mounts for the tire mount. But not sure , it's just been too long ago. Mine had a band that covered the tire about 3/4 of the way around and then a tire cover that went under the lip of the tire only cover.You will need to center the tire mount carefully to have clearance for every thing/ One last thing ,not sure the 1955 tire mount setup is same as later 1958 to 1960 setup, again been too long   since I've seen one. LRDaum  
LRDaum
hatchet View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2020 at 9:48pm
Thanks again. 
There is a parts car that I am looking to get that has the factory continental kit. I will have time to decide, if I  pick up that car.
hatchet View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2020 at 8:27am
Update:
   I bought the parts car. In case anyone else wants to know. There is a bracket that goes through the back of the car in two spots just below the trunk latch. looks like it shouldn't be too hard to do. I will post when the work is done. it is not a high priority right now.
hot57rambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot57rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2020 at 7:39pm
I've installed a few of these on non-factory equipped cars. You will need to reinforce where the tire carrier bolts onto the body. The sheetmetal is too thin on cars without the kit. if you can cut the reinforcements out of the donor that would work or use some very heavy washers or metal inside the trunk. Also on 53-55 Nash Ramblers and 58-60 Americans the c-kit had a cut out in the bumper for the kit so you will need the bumper of the car your getting the kit from. Hope this helps.

hatchet View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2020 at 12:53pm
 I am busy tearing the parts car down now. Hot57rambler is correct. (thank you) There is a completely different bracket that goes from the base of the trunk to the trunk latch. It reinforces the trunk and the tire holder. I will post pictures later. 

Edited by hatchet - Sep/22/2020 at 1:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic