TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

PCV oil bypass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2020 at 8:22am
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

I make my own oil line and it doesn't take up a lot of room. 
Now I slice the steel oil pan gasket up the middle and cut a hole for the rear fitting. 
It is easier for me to put the line in first and install the steel gasket around it.
I also use the baffle plate under the pcv valve.
I will post up some pictures on the next one I do in a couple of days.
IMG_2874 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Off topic...but I'd love to know more about that build in the photo. The roller tappets and semi-shaft rockers say "badazz"...

Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2020 at 10:45am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Why did you believe you needed the oil line "mod". It's been demonstrated as not necessary (by some real professionals). 

You are better off with the baffle on the intake and the original valley pan type gasket. If you insist the AMC design gasket is no good, at least use the center part of it........but there's really no reason in the world to not use the original type. 
(it's been covered here several dozen times)

Way back last century, I was wiping out distributor gears when I let off of the throttle after a hard run. It was determined that the gear was lubricated by oil passing through the cam and this passage had a tendency to clog after years of neglected oil changes. Back then I ran an external line form somewhere on the passenger side of the engine (sorry, old age keeps me from remembering exactly where this oil passage was) to a drilled and tapped hole in the timing case cover that allowed the gear to get properly lubricated.

Is this what the line in the photo is for?

Thanks!
Mr. Ed

I ask because I have another 304 and I do not want that problem again.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic