TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hood Stud Trouble

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hood Stud Trouble
    Posted: Jun/18/2020 at 5:58pm
Hello All,

I have a 1969 AMX hood and the studs that hold the hood on are getting stripped threads (on the US passenger side). Has anyone replaced them before? If so how difficult was it? Thanks! 

Regards

Don
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2020 at 7:32pm
I just repaired one on a 72. It was broke off. There was enough material to drill it out. Retap the hole and thread in a repair stud.
DAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2020 at 8:43pm
So the studs are threaded in, and not welded? Should I try welding a nut on it and try backing it out?
GremlinP38 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GremlinP38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2020 at 9:52am
I believe the studs are part of a plate inside the hood and the plate is thick enough you can cut the stud off and drill and tap int the plate. I fixed a broken stud many many years ago on a Gremlin and I think that’s how I did it. If memory serves, don’t run the tap 100% down the hole you drill or your new stud will wobble.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic