TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

100 mile bushings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2020 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by RSX 401 RSX 401 wrote:

One of the kits I have contains the same pieces. Let us know how the installation goes and how it rides.

I went and bought the Centric 1 piece bushings and they should be here early this coming week.  I'm a little concerned as the Mevotech bushings are as hard as the poly bushings I just put in, by feel anyway.  When the Centric bushings get here, I'm going to install whichever seems softer.  I'll definitely update this post after install.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2020 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

Originally posted by Brendang2000 Brendang2000 wrote:

Well, no more rubber strut rod bushings for me, poly it is:(  This is the second set I've gone through in a few hundred miles; both were NOS. 

NOS rubber is bad rubber. It's never any good. It actually angers me that parts suppliers sell it as replacement parts. Its never any good it's simply too old. It goes bad sitting on the shelf.

I do realize there have been threads on this forum arguing that stored properly rubber can last a long time. I'm sure it's true to some extent. But who's that intimate with the history of parts they buy? I have a hard time believing it lasts 50 years.

Old rubber is bad rubber. I'm pissed off for you! (lol, I had written 'pissed off with you', as in I'm pissed off ALONG WITH you! buth at erm may have not gone well) I've been burned with NOS rubber too.

I think AMC Lives! and others have new-manufacture one-piece bushings. 

Strut bushings are one of those AMC things that take up a lot of discussion time and effort.

That's interesting - I'm running NOS in my 73 - the struts, and have been for over a year and a lot of driving. 
On the other hand, I put NOS lower control arms on my 70 years ago and I could see the rubber had some issues before I even fully unwrapped the arms. 
I think it's hit and miss.
I have NOS upper control arm bushings in my Eagle - they've been there for almost 30,000 miles and several years, no issues. 
The left lower control arm was NOS - with bushing in it from the factory - it's doing just fine. 
Yet the NEW sway bar bushings I put on the car at the same time - bad already, as were the links and link bushings. Weird. 
I generally try to use only current, new parts, but from time to time I find a good NOS part that's been stored well, clean boxes, no heat or dirt or OZONE (like AWAY from anything electric, especially welders and transformers)

I do recommend to anyone else - be wary of NOS bushings. I'll do it from time to time, but then decades of experience, and perhaps a bit of luck, and hey, if they only last a year I'm not too upset. I have everything I need for tools and equipment to swap stuff out (including the Kent-Moor control arm bushing tools - replace bushings and never remove the upper control arm fully from the car)
You don't know the history or age or how or where they've been stored. 
I use all rubber bushings, period. in every car I own or do for others. 
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2020 at 12:39pm
Been running with poly bushings in my car for two years.  Struts, arms, leaf springs, etc.  Not one problem with fitting or breaking things.  Nada.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2020 at 12:21am
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Been running with poly bushings in my car for two years.  Struts, arms, leaf springs, etc.  Not one problem with fitting or breaking things.  Nada.

There are various durometer poly bushings. I don't think it's automatically bad. I've got a soft poly in the control arm bushings I made for my early AMerican. In use two years now. I have the Prothane (I think they are) kits in the 68. Those are fine. The super-hard pucks I used on my classic in 2005 or so, far, far too hard, squeaked, didn't break anything, but at that time it was a battle to make anything work (I then had "NOS" (new old s**t) fail as per this thread.

I prefer rubber, but mainly I prefer good and usable and reliable.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Brendang2000 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2020 at 9:57am
I will say, I've been driving with the Prothane kit for a few miles now while waiting for the Centric bushings to get here.  I just put this car back together after over a year and a half of it being down, and I'm trying to work out any bugs that show up.  Even before that though, I didn't get to drive this car much as it overheated, so I don't have much of a comparison.  That being said, I'm not noticing any difference between what originally was on the car, the first pair of NOS I installed nor the second.  It could be I'm more tolerant of harsh rides, but I'm not bothered with the poly ride, but again there's not many miles on them.  My concern would be more about damaging the strut rod.  Maybe I'll put a some miles on the poly before I install the Centric or Mevotech units to get a good comparison. 
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2020 at 10:36am
When I had strut rods I ran with rubber in the front and poly in the rear because it allowed for more movement that just straight poly. A way to check this to get a rough idea of the strut rods travel before disconnecting it from the control arm. When you have it disconnected move the strut rod by hand to see how resistance there is. With the red Prothane's I had, I couldn't move the rod by hand for the travel it needed but I could with the rubber on the front side. I can see where the rods would fail with just straight poly bushings. If I would of kept the original suspension I would of used the Opentracker setup. I still think it's the best of both worlds.

Edited by Mopar_guy - Jun/21/2020 at 1:21pm

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2020 at 12:28pm
Link no worky.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2020 at 9:45am
I am STILL waiting on my bushings that were supposed to be here on the 22nd, DHL says there was a "delay" or more likely their way of saying they lost them:)  I had the car apart while waiting on the bushings, but at this point I'm putting the poly bushings back in so I can at least drive the car; still working out other bugs.  I didn't put the Mevotech bushings in as they're even thicker than the poly bushings, and even the thickness of the poly bushings don't allow the use of the jam nut.  My concern, beside not running the jam nut, is that you lose a lot of the caster adjustment.  If the Centric bushings ever show up, I'll give my thoughts on them.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2020 at 7:10am
That should be ploy on front, rubber on rear if you're mixing! 
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2020 at 1:24pm

The Centric bushings arrived today, finally!  Almost three weeks to get here from NY.  Top picture shows a NOS below the Centric ones.  I called Centric to verify when these were made, as they are no longer listed on their website, and the lower right number on the box is date of manufacture; 20190430.  So already over a year old and guessing they aren’t making these anymore since they’re no longer listed, I should've asked.  I’d love to put these in and see the difference between them and the poly, but it’s supposed to be 110* here today, and I can’t drive the car anyway as all my seats are at the upholsterers waiting on fabric to arrive.  So it’ll be some time before these get tested.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic