TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'61 American - rebuilding rear leaf springs.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote American Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '61 American - rebuilding rear leaf springs.
    Posted: Jun/04/2020 at 11:46am
I have the back-end of my American convertible torn apart for brakes and other refreshening.

I also have the rear axle and springs out.

Spring eyes and shackles needed new rubber,  and I noticed there was no plastic liner between the spring leaves. Shocked

Spring assemblies look original, with the proper "curl" at the ends of the shorter leaves, and the ride-height of the car is good.

So my plan is to disassemble the springs ( they are still mostly painted ), clean, re-paint, and re-assemble with the plastic liner, new center bolts and rebound clips, and new mounting bushings.

Question about painting the spring leaves:  I would like to paint each leaf entirely, before assembling the stack.  My goal is to prevent rust.  The plastic lining should reduce sliding friction.

Something in the back of my head, perhaps from my Model A friends, tells me I should NOT paint the sliding surfaces... but the Ford springs are all metal-on-metal.

Have been using Rust Oleum black Appliance Epoxy on the black chassis parts, and am planning to use it on the springs.

She's a really decent, rust-free original. nice sunny-day driver, not a trailer queen, but my goal is AACA HPOF some day.

Thoughts ? Do's / Don'ts ?

Thanks,

Frank McM.

Edited by American Frank - Jun/04/2020 at 11:48am
American Frank
1961 American Custom Convertible 6107-2
P72 Frost White / Black Top
R154 Ravine Medium Gray Metallic Dash
Red & grey low-back "bucket" seats

1961 American Super 4dr
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2020 at 10:59pm
I use Eastwood Chassis Black. It's very rugged, looks like factory black, it's tenacious stuff. 

Hard to believe that painting would make a lot of difference, with weight on it moving up and down the paint would wear away pretty fast. Alternatively, you could grease the leafs lightly. Not sure that would have bad side effects. Friction probably does some damping, but that's what shocks are for. 

I don't recall my cars having those plastic pads that the 70's cars got.

The early American leaf springs are lovely things. Mine were not just flat, but had a grooved profile, and the finish seemed drawn or machined. Just overall high finish quality.

I took them apart and made garden edging with them.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2020 at 11:25am
The older models didn't have the nylon (plastic) liners. 
Frank Swygert
American Frank View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote American Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2020 at 9:15am
Frank - I don't know where they made the change (perhaps with the "all-new" '61's ?), but the Owner's Manual, Features Book, TSM, and Parts Book all make mention of them.

Here's a quick photo of the parts blow-up from the Parts Book.  Key # 11.084.

The AM version had a wide ridge down the center of the liner, to nest in the groove of the springs.

The stuff I got from my spring supplier is just a thin material in a roll, by the foot.

Hopefully the rebound clips will keep the liners in place.

Frank McM.

Edited by American Frank - Jun/07/2020 at 9:18am
American Frank

1961 American Super 4dr
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2020 at 9:22pm
Interesting! 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2020 at 5:58am
I don't either.... and I could be wrong!! It happens....   
Frank Swygert
American Frank View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote American Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2020 at 10:27am
Frank, et al:  

Not trying to bust anyone's chops here... just sharing some documentation I found.

I have to assume the springs on my car were apart sometime in its history: the liners were completely gone, and the rebound clips had been replaced with clips that look like metal crate-strapping, complete with buckle.

Trying to get mine as close to "right" as possible...

Frank McM.

American Frank

1961 American Super 4dr
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2020 at 11:07pm
Best solution I feel would be to meet me at Carlisle next week and I will happily sell you the new rear leaf springs I have. Bought a 63 American and the guy put new springs all the way around. 140 bucks for the pair...

Also have a remanufactured power steering unit for 400 bucks...

Sorry to jack the thread for pedaling my extras...just an opportunity.

Jon
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2020 at 5:25am
If I make a mistake I WANT to be corrected... no offense at all!! I was going from memory again rather than taking a peek at the books...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic