TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 Javelin door swithch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 Javelin door swithch
    Posted: May/27/2020 at 3:54pm
First, my car is a former drag car that had less than acceptable wiring. I replaced the new front harness complete. At the front to rear harness connection there is a 8" red wire with an oem male spade/plug that is separate from the rest of the rear harness.  BOTH the TSM and Ebay Color Wiring Diagram show a black wire going to the plunger but no red? There IS a black wire with a round connector and about 6" wire coming from the front wiring harness near the connecting plug, does that go to the door plunger? Note: the rear lamps and courtesy lamps all worked prior to the wiring replacement.
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2020 at 4:19pm
The other thing that's near that, Ron, is the headlight buzzer (if so equipped). If the car didn't have the Light Group, I think that wire might just be unattached. I haven't got the wiring diagram in front of me, but that's within 8-10" of where the door switch is!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2020 at 4:20pm
Wires going to the door jamb switches - the wires that handle dome/courtesy lights will be black because the door switch grounds the wire. It isn't hot so they don't make it red (fine, it's hot in that you will get a measurement but it's going through the BULBS first, so technically a wire that gets grounded and not a supply wire)
I can't recall if the door buzzer cars (hey, you left your keys in but opened the door) have a red wire going to a switch with dual contacts - this will be screw in while those that only ground a single wire and only operate the dome would be push-in - all from memory, my 70 is gone and my wiring diagrams are in the house and I'm not. 
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2020 at 10:47pm
The red wire should connect to the "Courtesy Light" tab on the fuse panel.  Should be constant (un-switched) power.  This is why Billd says the bulbs and, as such, the black wires on the courtesy lights always have power.  The black wires are connected to the door switches (via those round connectors) and the switches complete the circuit to ground.  The black wires from the courtesy lights also connect to the "D" (Dome Light) terminal on the headlight switch, which itself needs to be grounded, and also turns on the courtesy lights.

As for the Headlight/Key Warning Buzzer, there are 2 connectors, 4 wires:
- The red and black wired connector:
      - Red connects to a red w/white tracer which goes to the turn signal connector.
      - Black goes to the ground side of the courtesy lights.
- The brown and white wired connector:
      - White goes to "I" on the starter solenoid so it connects to a yellow somewhere, probably under the dash.
      - Brown goes to the "H" terminal on the headlight switch which also has a brown to the dimmer switch.

Hope this helps.
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2020 at 9:41am
Thanks Bill & Willy. I totally forgot about the trunk lamp wire. What was really confusing me was the passenger door switch has a red wire going to it which I have removed. Argh, prior owners Angry

My soldering iron has been getting quite a work out Wink
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

The other thing that's near that, Ron, is the headlight buzzer (if so equipped). If the car didn't have the Light Group, I think that wire might just be unattached. I haven't got the wiring diagram in front of me, but that's within 8-10" of where the door switch is!

What's included in the light group? I have no trunk or glove box lamps.
67 Rogue 290 Convert

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2020 at 10:47am
The Light Group would be: Glove box, Trunk, Courtesy (under the dash) lights, Headlight On buzzer.

So if you don't have the Light Group, those wires that are part of the basic harness would still be there, unused.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2020 at 11:34am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

The Light Group would be: Glove box, Trunk, Courtesy (under the dash) lights, Headlight On buzzer.

So if you don't have the Light Group, those wires that are part of the basic harness would still be there, unused.

Didn't the Light Group also include parking brake on light, low fuel light, and map light?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic