TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Why are vacuum advance canisters expensive?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricardo540 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are vacuum advance canisters expensive?
    Posted: May/22/2020 at 11:37pm
This is more of an opinion/rant post.
I was working on my timing and noticed the advance didn't moved on its full range of motion nor it was moving fluidly. So after learning how to adjust the advance canister I took some hex keys and dug into the vacuum port, after trying on several sizes and not any of them really fiiting into the bolt I concluded that the head of the allen bolt was stripped and far from being able to be adjusted.

Long story short I would love a plain simple functional canister for my perfectly functional distributor on my 79' Spirit 258... but the only one I could find is around 50$! While a brand new oem distributor is around the same price tag or maybe a bit more... why charging so much? Is it just because of parts shortage?

Edited by Ricardo540 - May/22/2020 at 11:40pm
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2020 at 1:07am
( edit ) This is AMC V8 info, not 6 Cylinder info, so may be WRONG, I don't know 6-Cyl, sorry Embarrassed
So assume you have a 1979 vintage stock AMC / Jeep MotorCraft AutoLite DuraSpark type of Distributor?
If so, research shows, although have not had real parts in-hand, the AMC Jeep MotorCraft Vacuum Advance Canister is actually different than the Ford version, the AMC unit has a different shaped arm on it.  Just as there are a couple easily overlooked but significant differences in the AMC and Chevy Delco Units, such as entirely different Point Plates and Distributor Housing casting Cap Locator Notch clock locations.  So, market demand for the AMC MotorCraft AutoLite DuraSpark version of the Vacuum Advance Canisters is relatively 'very low' and can only guess is the reason for the elevated replacement part cost.  Was under the assumption not all Vacuum Advance Canister were adjustable, only 'performance manufacturer' ones like Crane for instance, but as many times before, could be wrong about that.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - May/23/2020 at 11:59am
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2020 at 10:30am
In general, I suspect that because vacuum advance canisters are a thing of the past-they are no longer being made by the millions. Every vehicle made used to have one (except for a diesel), so mass production efficiencies applied then. That doesn't work in the aftermarket world, 30-40-50 years later.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2020 at 11:57am
Uh oh...  this is in the 6-Cyl area...  Info I posted before is for V8's...  Don't know about 6's, sorry Embarrassed
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2020 at 1:29pm
I believe car parts are like most other things in life. Reasonably cheap because everyone is needing them. Then for a period of time they are even cheaper because it become suspect that others will still need the plenitude of parts and the seller "better get for it what they can."

With fewer models of a specific car on the road and many having replacement parts to go further down the road demand drys up. THEN! At a later point in time there is a need, far fewer are available and the seller can ask what he wants because they know you need the part.

That said if you are able, be patient. I've looked on Ebay for bearings for my 196 OHV and was shocked to see $140 mains, $90 rods and $85 cam bearings as the only bearings at available times. But, recently I got a set of mains for $20, rods for $10 and there are at least fours sets of cam bearings available for $20.

The other thing is have you considered adapting another vacuum canister? I realize that they are all calibrated differently but in general I would thing any vacuum advance would be better than none at all.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2020 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Ricardo540 Ricardo540 wrote:

...So after learning how to adjust the advance canister I took some hex keys and dug into the vacuum port, after trying on several sizes and not any of them really fiiting into the bolt I concluded that the head of the allen bolt was stripped and far from being able to be adjusted.

As far as I know, only explicitly-adjustable aftermarket vacuum advance units are adjustable. Stock ones are riveted.

It's not really a good way to tweak spark advance anyway. 

I just bought one for $15. Seems cheap for a part that lasts 10 years or more.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2020 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Ricardo540 Ricardo540 wrote:

So after learning how to adjust the advance canister I took some hex keys and dug into the vacuum port, after trying on several sizes and not any of them really fiiting into the bolt I concluded that the head of the allen bolt was stripped and far from being able to be adjusted.

LOL - you can't adjust a stock vacuum advance! Your search obviously was google and you landed on replacement/3rd party/after-market parts. SOME of them can be adjusted, but not normally stock and not for the 6 for sure. I'm not sure anyone even made an adjustable one for an AMC 6. 
That's the first mistake - trying to adjust a stock vacuum advance. 

2nd point would be - why would you want to? Did you have the thing checked out on a distributor machine?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2020 at 6:50am
Being able to make adjustments to the vacuum advance (VA) does have some usefulness. with constant playing with fuel mixtures these days you notice changes. Here they switch between what they call Summer  and Winter gas. Well that just means a different batch of additives almost every year - my rant.
I had a small amount of part throttle detonation on my first fill up this year, timing was still spot on to were it was in the fall. One rotation of the VA to reduce VA solved the detonation issue. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic