TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ridgid Vise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ridgid Vise
    Posted: May/06/2020 at 9:31am
I just bought a Ridgid F-60 F-Series 6 in. forged bench vise from Tyler Tool for a little over $400 shipped.  I was a little hesitant to buy it as it doesn't have replaceable jaw but the reviews were great so I went for it.  Just for giggles, I contacted Ridgid customer service and asked why no replaceable jaws.  Their reply:

"RIDGID Forged Vise jaws are guaranteed for life.  If the jaws wear under normal use the customer simply sends their vise back for a new one."

I realize that shipping a 150# vise wouldn't be cheap but a lifetime guarantee?  I never knew Ridgid had this policy. 

Edited by 6PakBee - May/06/2020 at 9:50am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2020 at 11:25am
Yep, that's why my shop vacuums are Rigid. Although I've not had one go bad yet where the Shop Vac brand go bad in a couple of years. Junk IMO.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2020 at 2:18pm
That's a good price for a 6". Unless something's changed, it's made by Peddinghaus in Germany. I looked at them years back but couldn't get past the non-replaceable jaws and no geared swivel base.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2020 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

I looked at them years back but couldn't get past the non-replaceable jaws and no geared swivel base.

I hear you.  We'll see in a few years if I chose wisely.  In any event it's got to be better than the two broken cast iron vises I've had over the last three decades.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2020 at 9:57pm
I'm sure you'll never break it. I'm not worried about wearing out the jaws, but I like to add my own replacement smooth aluminum jaws made from bar stock; because that fits my needs 90% of the time. I know I can add the drop in inserts, but it's not the same- they move.

I have a Yost FSV-5 that is basically a copy of the Ridgid; welded steel construction. The Yost is made in Taiwan, but it's extremely nice. I got it on sale on Amazon for something like $130 when they discontinued it to change over to the ADI models.

The bottom line is even the cheap vises today are pretty damn good. there's a vise torture test on YouTube and it's brutal what it even takes to break today's garbage one from HF. IMO, the winners in it are the Yost ADI and a cheap DeWalt.

Edit: this took forever to find. Too much crap on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcbTopj5u7A&app=desktop

Edited by Steve_P - May/06/2020 at 10:07pm
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2020 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

I have a Yost FSV-5 that is basically a copy of the Ridgid; welded steel construction. The Yost is made in Taiwan, but it's extremely nice. I got it on sale on Amazon for something like $130 when they discontinued it to change over to the ADI models.

I have a Yost FSV-4 and love it.  The FSV-6 would have been my first choice and had I been aware that Yost was dropping the FSV series, I would have bought it when I could.  I even emailed Yost asking why they dropped the FSV series and got the typical rhetoric about how good the ductile iron ADI vises are.  Sorry but I didn't agree with them.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2020 at 9:37am
If you watch the video you'll see how good the ADI is.

There is another vise that's the same as the FSV which may still be available. It was painted green or blue, but identical; just a different company selling the same product. I can't remember the brand...

Edit:

https://smile.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-10515-Ultimate-Forged/dp/B015NI27ZY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=steel+vise&qid=1588862311&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySFlNUVBXQjBOT01NJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTE2NjE3MzdSWDBMWDA0M0k4WiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjE5MDk1TVRCMzZZSU9YQ1FQJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Edited by Steve_P - May/07/2020 at 9:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic