TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

195.6 balancer in too far?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2020 at 1:50pm
Good to hear you got the problem sorted!

FYI, there is a person in Simi Valley with a 196 and various American parts for sale. Not sure what his prices are. If the engine was dirt cheap I might consider it. But I have seven (different) collector era cars and space it at a premium - as well as money. So the price would have to be really right.

https://ventura.craigslist.org/pts/d/simi-valley-rambler-american-parts/7103809723.html

Regarding the Balancer. Use a Dremel cut-off disc and put marks on the two halves BEFORE they come loose. I've seen people pour liquid Urethane to make motor mounts, suspension parts etc.. I'd be curious to see if the ID/OD of the balancer halves were measured, calculating the needed size of three drill bits (or on a lathe turning steel the needed size), and using them as centering spacers. Then pour the Urethane into the void (and removing the drill bits at the appropriate time) if it would work??? Urethane comes in various degrees of hardness and if used in motor mounts and suspension bushings it seems to have a decent bonding capability.

Edited by wittsend - Apr/23/2020 at 2:25pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2020 at 10:44pm
CONGRATULATIONS! Yeah it's a PITA motor to get right but once you do, they're pretty solid. Be fanatical about not-overheating. It's a pleasant motor to drive. 

For the first couple months with my new (sic) '68 AMerican with 199, I kept stalling it. It demanded that I rev it up to nearly 1100, 1200 rpm to take off from stopped. The 195.6 was happy to grunt off the line at 800 rpm. It may suck in gross HP but low speed torque is great!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

hotrod bob View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2020 at 9:50pm
Thank you all! Good ideas on the balancer issues, never thought about making marks to see if it ever slips. Yes Tom, it seems pretty torquey.I have just moved it back and forth in the shop. Gotta sort Trans mounts next and then brakes. Fun Fun to work on!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic