TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Racing Slicks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racing Slicks
    Posted: Mar/10/2020 at 10:46am
I'm looking to see what size racing slick and rim (with back spacing) are being run on the 1969 AMX at the drag track??? Can someone help me? Thanks
ScreamerX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ScreamerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2020 at 11:31am
Hope are some measurements from the rear of a 70 AMX.  A 17x9.5 AR Torq Thrust VN215 wheel with 5.56" backspace works.  Need a 1/4" spacer to center the wheel in the wheelhouse.  A 275/40/17 tire (Toyo R888R) leaves 1/2" between tire and leaf spring, and 1/2" gap between tire and fender lip (mine are not rolled). 

The wheels are advertised as 9.5" wide.  That's the bead width.  The physical width is 10.5" wide. 

The R888R has a 9.8" tread width; 10.9" section width; and is 25.7" tall.  It fills up the wheelwell.  It's sticky, but not a drag slick.  Using it for autocross. Hope this info is helpful regarding sizing and what fits in an unmodified rear wheelwell without jacking the car up.   
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2020 at 3:29pm
My motor made MAYBE 400 hp at the flexplate and I ran
Mickey Thompson 26 x 8.5 ET Drag Slicks with tubes on 15 x 8 with 4-1/2" Backspace / 0" Offset
with no problems at all on a '69 AMX with the stock rear end.
imho they were wide enough for the power being made,
the smaller diameter helped with the somewhat 'street friendly' 3.73 rear gears,
they fit inside the car behinds the seats for the drive to the track,
the smaller radius from axle center to the ground transferred more torque to the ground pretty sure...
Slicks are are Bias Ply tires, I used regular inner tubes from K-Mart back then,
and for Bias Ply front tires I ran 6.00 x 15 4-ply Volkswagen tires 26" OD x ~4" tread
first on 15 x 4 steel doughnut spare tire rims, then later on 15 x 4 Weld Racing Drag Lite rims.
Really like the look of square shouldered tread profiled bias ply tires for that late 60's period look.
Seems almost all modern high dollar 'front runner' tires are round shouldered even though they're bias ply.
Sorry to those who may be tired of seeing the same old pictures... Embarrassed

Weld Racing Drag Lite rims, and others, are common to find used for a good bargain,
a lighter than ANYTHING else imho, have both bolt patterns, and easy to clean,
polish up really nice and pretty easily, but sadly very often with 5-1/2" backspace
since that is what fits on many Fox Body Mustangs...

Up to you, but they will work with a ~1/4" or 5/16" rear wheel spacers...
I found only ~1/8" sidewall to leafspring clearance when trial fitting
15 x 8 w/ 5.5" backspace and 255-60-15 tires on my '69 AMX,
255-60-15 is basically same width as the slicks, but 1" taller at 27" OD nominal.

Other than slicks, the smallest Mickey Thompson Sportsman PRO available,
( size is only offered in the 'PRO' version, which is sticky compound )
is also a really nice size rear tire for an AMX - 26 x 10.5 x 15
and is also a bias ply tire and also requires use of inner tubes.
'Ideally' for the 'best' contact patch the rim width should match the tread width and
both the 26 x 8.5 MT ET Slicks and the MT Sportsman Pro 26 x 10.5 x 15 are ~8" tread width. 

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Mar/12/2020 at 12:31pm
Lisa69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2020 at 7:48am
We are ordering tires and rims for the track and this is the info we needed. Thank you

amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2020 at 12:14am
Centerline Autodrag 15X8.5 put the tire right on center.

28X9X15 Slicks fit if you fold under the front lip.

Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2020 at 7:19am
In the past I was running a 26" x 8.5" M/T slick on a 15" x 7" wheel (3 3/4" backspacing) when my 69 AMX was making 450 HP and had no traction problems on a prepped surface. It located nicely in the wheel well.

Now I'm around 580 HP and just got a set 26" x 10" Hoosier slicks on 15" x 10" wheels (5 1/2" backspacing). I have a 9" rear axle that is slightly narrower than the stock AMC20 axle. My axle needs a 1/8" spacer to keep the tire from rubbing against the leaf spring and has plenty of fender clearance. I think this combination would fit the stock '69 AMC20 width nicely. Anything taller than 27" will rub the wheel lip.

-Steve-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic