TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

2 "Ton" A/C in 70 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 "Ton" A/C in 70 AMX
    Posted: Feb/23/2020 at 10:27pm
Thumbs UpTop picture is an original paint 70 AMX I bought, fixed up and sold years ago. Middle picture shows the A/C vents the original owner installed in the rear carpeted panel and in the kick panel under the 1/4 window, the passenger side has the same set-up mirror image to the drivers side. The bottom picture is the 2 "ton" rated capacity A/C unit taken from a limousine and installed in the trunk of this 70 AMX, with a drain pan under the unit with a drain line out of the bottom of the trunk, with Freon lines run under the AMX to the engine compartment and hooked up to a non-AMC type of compressor with homemade brackets The original owner stated that this unit ran so cold, that it would spit ice crystals out of these (4) vents. Prior to this custom A/C installation, the owner had converted this AMX to run on propane and had the propane tanks in the trunk with lines run to the engine compartment. After I removed all the A/C equipment, it took me the best part of a day to cut round patches and weld up all of these holes from these (2) modifications. 
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 1:14am
That is....bizarre and totally unnecessary considering the factory A/C system on all AMC cars was a 2-ton rated system more than capable of keeping a small AMX comfortable inside, especially if the windows were tinted dark.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 5:05am
Talk about freezing your bum off! Ha!

Yep factory, or most modern full sized car and truck setups are well enough for cooling. Though when swapping out with modern condensers, be sure to keep up with sizes relative to cooling capacity. Most R134, have larger condenser surface area than R12 counterparts. The closest replacement size for my system's cooling capacity is a bit larger than factory. I think Farna used a Dodge Stratus condenser, which is bigger than factory for his a/c setup.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 7:14am
my dads 69 ambo would blow ice on dessert mode I love that ac when I drove it to school
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 11:16am
Was the BTU ( tonnage) ever published for the AMC?
They all didn't use the same size compressor.
The only thing Ive ever seen was an Ambassador ad stating that it can cool a room.
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 6:36pm
So for outright cooling.... Original York or a Sanden? I remember the ac in my/grandpas car as a kid could freeze me out in the  100° plus  summers when I was in shorts. Can I get the same results with a Sanden, 134 and a larger condenser? And what about the dessert only function with the Sanden? 
javguy
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 6:49pm
The AC system is also based on the airflow and standard operating temp based on a drop. You still have the same CFM from the blower and plenum so the volume of air isn't changing. When you start hitting 35 to 37 degrees at the vent it's colder at the evaporator and will ice over reducing flow.
It's a matched system. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 7:55pm
If going to R134, you need to replace your expansion valve, with a compatible one.

As for cooling tonnage... I had specs for similar designs on modern systems. By looking at and comparing each component to various makes and models. Sanden SD508 volume over other makes, on various years. every full sized car running a compressor of equal rating to what I have, all had much larger condensers, and some had a smaller evaporator of the stock a/c components.

Though, it's being picky as to my methods. As there is no major reason to swap out components unless you have good reason to, or a need to build from scratch.

If any thing the larger condenser is for efficiency, the better the gas to fluid exchange, the less the compressor has to work. Something like a cycle per minute or two, depending on how the much demand is on the system.

Edited by 304-dude - Feb/24/2020 at 7:57pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2020 at 1:04pm
The big weakness in these first generation AMX and Javelin systems was airflow distribution not cooling capacity. The two center vents were simply not enough to cool the interior evenly. The same is true of the 67, 68 and to a slightly lesser degree the 1969 big car systems. Blower volume was also barely adequate. The second generation AMX & Javelin systems doubled the number of dash vents which was a big improvement.
The first generation systems with those lame rubber "floor cooling" tubes on the evaporator housing are a joke. It's best to either cap them off or remove them and use hole plugs in the openings. They bleed off valuable cool air to the floor when the upper outlets need all the cool air they can get.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2020 at 8:13am
I used a Chrysler LH platform condenser (93-04 Concorde, LHS, 300M, last New Yorker, Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision). It's a cross flow design that's supposedly more efficient than the older types. Had to do some cutting and soldering on the lines, but it works great. For mounts I used small bolts through the core holding aluminum straps on. No issues with vibration causing leaks. It's been in the car for over 10 years...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic