TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 to 72 6cyl transmission auto options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2020 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

Just found the most amazing document:

OH YEAH BABY!! Wow, actual SPECIFICATIONS for the T-96! I've only glanced at so far. 

I looked high and low for years for a doc like that!!! Thats a heck of a find. Thanks!

It's got drawings!! yowza.

That is one amazing find.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2020 at 12:43am
T-96 is rated for 150 ft/lbs. There you go. The 195.6 OHV certainly makes more than that.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2020 at 7:08am
I've not seen a T-90 installed either, I just know that there is a HD transmission option for fleet cars. Have never found anything stating what that trans is. The only way I have found to find the model trans in the TSM is to closely look through the photos for a number cast into the side of the trans, and on occasion they use a generic photos, like a T-96 shown in the T-85 section... so you have to look at ALL the photos!!
Frank Swygert
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2020 at 7:22am
I think those torque numbers are REALLY conservative. Regardless they give relative strength values. You look at pretty much any application and the engines they installed those trannys behind greatly exceeded the ratings given. Even the "heavy duty truck" T98 is rated at only 220.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2020 at 7:40am
I read several posts and articles describing the early VAM cars and a 3 speed that many "thought" was a T-150. The T-90 looks a lot like the T-150 used by Jeep, and would likely be why the confusion there.
This does clear up quite a few past posts on this unknown and rare installation.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2020 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

I think those torque numbers are REALLY conservative. Regardless they give relative strength values. You look at pretty much any application and the engines they installed those trannys behind greatly exceeded the ratings given. Even the "heavy duty truck" T98 is rated at only 220.

Well, that document is old, since it mentions Kaiser and Steadybreaker. 

For reference, I had a T96+OD installed behind a 232 in a 1963 Classic wagon. It was brand new (see below). Driving over 20th Street in San Francisco, up from 3rd, a very, very steep hill with a stop sign at the top (!) i stripped teeth off first, slipping the clutch from a dead stop at that sign. "Worst case" certainly, but i wasn't *that* bad with the clutch. Chunk-chunk-chunk it went.

It's a weak transmission.

Admittedly it didn't belong behind a 232, nor in a wagon, though that was what was in the car when I got it (a bad one, replaced with new).

I replaced it that year with a 1965 M35 auto and axle.

Then broke the (2-3) synchro, another T96 OD, in my 63 American 440. The transmission was old, and I was NOT abusing it, if I recall it broke during a normal 2 to 3 shift, I assume cumulative damage.

Then I broke that same T96 -- a couple years after I rebuilt it -- when it was in my roadster. I distinctly recall when it failed -- in sluggish stop and go traffic on I-210 in Pasadena, coming home from a trip. And easy, gentle shift K-K-K-K-Krick of clashing gears, suddenly, then every shift there after. Double-clutching until I got a T14 from Joe (pacerman), rebuilt that -- never a lick of trouble -- untilt hat got replaced with the T5z.

(The T14 goes in esmond (68 Amer) this month. It's got 5000 miles on it, and a quick look inside shows it perfect.)

(I was talking to a local friend about the T96 I put in the Classic wagon back in 1988... I bought it from Ed Stack, an old AMC dealer, back in 1988. He built it for me, with Twin Stick gears, from NOS parts! For $250 US dollars! lol. He painted it an ugly blue and the paint never dried :-) I ordered it over the phone, went to pick it up at his place up near Sacramento, ... old fashioned parts counter with NOS AMX grilles wrapped in plastic with AMC punched cards dangling... oh man what a collection. Did Galvin's get all that stuff?)

I am DONE DONE DONE with T96's. Maybe behind a flathead. No more than that.

Edited by tomj - Feb/27/2020 at 11:21pm

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2020 at 7:23am
I put one behind a 4.6L EFI stroker! It didn't last long, at least the synchro didn't. I got maybe 150 miles before the synchro gave up, and that was taking it easy. It was a temporary trans for sure though, I was looking for an AX15 five speed. In 2000 they were scarce in junkyards, especially 2WD models! Didn't know at the time that a Mustang T-5 would work.

I drove the T-96 for about 18 months, timing up-shifts with engine rpm and double-clutching to downshift (or timing sometimes...). When I was away visiting a friend about a year in one of the synchro rings actually snapped and jammed the trans. I'd say it was small and easy to pull, but mine was an OD trans, which makes it pretty heavy and much harder to pull! We did it in his driveway though, and pulled the top cover. Easy to see the problem! Just pulled input shaft and removed the broken bronze ring. Was a bit concerned it might be needed as a spacer, but everything worked fine.

I finally found a 2WD AW4 at a bargain price! Someone on the old AMC Mailing List read where I was looking for a trans and dropped me a line about it. They were going to use it in a Scout but got a deal on a small diesel engine and aborted their 4.0L plans, and were just getting rid of accumulated parts. weren't too far away either!

I took the top cover off the T-96 and thoroughly inspected it. While it only had about 8-10K miles on it (it was a daily driver), the gears looked like a typical old car T-96 -- with 80K+ on it. I didn't mention that this trans had been professionally rebuilt with a new input shaft and main gear cluster.  So it was holding up, in a sense, to a LOT more power than it should have in front of it, but not a good idea!!
Frank Swygert
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2020 at 7:39am
Originally posted by typhoon typhoon wrote:

Is there a 904, or any other BW trans that will bolt up to a pre 72 AMC 199 or 232 6? Starter on the drivers side as you know. Would the bellhousing from the existing m35 bolt to an m11 or m12?
thanks
Apparently some responders here think you wanna swap in a manual transmission.

The thing is, why swap out your M35 when it probably only needs a rebuild?

(just because it needs a rebuild, that does not mean it's a bad transmission, that just means it's old and needs service)

-Think of the 'wear parts' inside the automatic trans as if they are brake shoes, in analogy.

-Same thing basically; every now and then one needs to replace the brake shoes because the friction surfaces become thin (or worse, metal to metal) -same thing happens inside the auto trans to the clutch frictions, and sometimes to the bands.

The good news is the M35 has a good parts supply going for it because it was so widely used in many different cars.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you just can't stand it, and for some reason you must perform a trans swap, because of the bolt pattern between the trans and bellhousing, the Ford C4 looks very similar, having a very similar round trans to bell mounting pattern (and probably SAE dimensions)

The AW4 also, has a round trans to bell mounting pattern, but it's diameter is probably too large (and metric specifications)

-Assuming the pre-'72 inline six bellhousing's round mounting pattern can be recut on a mill or lathe, and the bolt holes can be redrilled to fit Ford C4 transmission. (then you'd be forced into adapting the C4 torque converter, making a crank button adapter etc)

(do your Google search and compare the two: Ford C4 compared to AM aluminum case M35, the go to Alto Catalog and compare the diameters of the friction discs) = The Ford C4 is the Ford version of the BW35, but came out two years later (historically speaking, this means AMC was using a more advanced light duty trans than Ford for at least two years)

Anyway, IMO, the stock Flash-O-Matic is good to go; they used it behind 290/304, even in Ambassadors (heavier car, increased load on trans) so it's just fine behind an inline six.

The stock M35 Flash-O-Matic or Shift Command features low parasitic loss, less than a larger automatic, and this equates to higher power transmission to the rear wheels.

Edited by amcenthusiast - Feb/28/2020 at 7:41am
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2020 at 7:52am
Original trans lasted about 60 years, rebuild it (f if you can find anyone that wants to bother)or the several K$$$ you'll need to start adapting. 

Edited by Heavy 488 - Feb/28/2020 at 7:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic