TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 crank into 343

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68st343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 9:55pm
Thanks Western an Phat, the motor is torn down to short block, that's how we found it was 30 over. I like the idea of a custom converter since I would need a higher stall for track and leave the engine alone other than a freshen up, overall block/heads seems clean an fresh. Is their a tried an true mfg to have a converter built? I would think a post in the wanted section would find the trans, anything we're missing in this set-up. Thanks for the knowledge, John
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 10:17pm
Another 'idea', but I have not done it, or know if it has been mentioned,
your last post reminded me of the idea..
A custom or modified TF converter fitted with a long and small Borg Warner Size and Style Converter Pilot
instead of the short and fat TF style and shape Converter Pilot.
Then the existing 343 flat flange crank and BW Trans 343 Flexplate could be re-used.
The 343 BW Flexplate may need to be drilled with 4 converter mounting bolt holes
that match the TF Converter mounting bolts.
Then no crank adapter or block to trans spacer would be needed.
If the TF Converter had a BW size and shape converter pilot on it.
I've been out of the market for quite awhile, and only used an 'economy' aftermarket B&M Stall Converter.
But back in the day, Coan Converters in Indiana iirc was 'the place' for converters.
And intention was to replace what I had with a Coan Built Converter, but 'got out of it' before doing that.

I keep forgetting to mention, I was doing it as just a hobby, wanted to keep down cost,
and was just plain stubborn I guess...
I used a 304/360 Crank in a 343 block just to get back lost Compression ratio
since the +.030 cast pistons in my 343 block had 'large' dish tops AND were .020 shorter than stock
so the soup bowl slugs were .080" nominal down in the hole in the block
and I had squat for compression...
So the 304/360 crank was relatively cheap, pushed those soup bowl slugs up flush,
got the CR back up closer to what the cam needed, and had the later stepped flange to use a TF Trans.
The WATCH OUT then becomes Cam Specs and Piston-to-Valve Clearance !

So, what slugs are in your 343, what dish, and how far down in the hole are they ?

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Feb/17/2020 at 10:24pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 5:37am
Torqueflite to early crank custom converter in case you are thinking of going down that path:

If you are going high stall for drag racing, it's not that much of a stretch to get something custom made. I took this out because it was somewhere around stock stall and did the crank modifications so that I could run an off the shelf high stall converter.:

I was working with an early flat crank AMC 360 engine, so similar deal to the 343.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 6:51pm
Have a custom converter made.
It's not that expensive and you will
get a custom stall speed to go with it.

I had one built for a AMC 727 app
and the builder asked which crank I was using.

It's really that easy.
Gremlin Dreams
68st343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68st343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 9:13pm
Hello All, I do think now the best way for me since the engine is in good shape is the custom convertor, I get the stall for drags and no headaches with adapter, balance, etc. The engine is 30 over and has flat top w/ valve notch, so no dish for clearance/cam lift as noted if 360 crank was used. Gonna check out some new trans and find a converter builder, any suggestion on either one helpful, Thanks John 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic