TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

196 Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2020 at 10:25pm
first principles, once again. you might not yet be totally screwed. 

first, a TACTICAL test, and questions to ask...

PULL THE DISTRIBUTOR OUT OF THEN ENGINE. Since it's already rotaed 120, just yank it. To later re-install, you will need to index it to #1 cyl. YOu do this with the phinger-phart method, same as finding #1 TDC, which is what the distributor need to install. But that's second...

* is the gear good? Missing teeth? Clean and oily? Various conditions mean various things, report back...

* Turn the gear at the bottom. Does the shaft turn smoothly and easily? (Of course the contact points make it go bump bump bump.. so loosen or remove the points). I bet not. You should be able to spin it with two fingers, and have it run on itself for a turn or two or three. If it's dragging, high resistance to turning by hand, then it's simply old and gunked up and binding, and if binding enough, the shaft, rotated by the camshaft, will turn the distributor, throw spark timing CRAZY, and hopfuly stall without too much damage.

after 40, 50, 60 years, the oil coked up, plugged the spiral that draws oi up the shaft, and it freezes up. Distributors need to be turn down, shaft removed, gun-brushed with solvent, cleaned and relubricated. It's an easy afternoon job.

* The helical gear on the camshaft that drives the distributor also drives the oil pump.

Further observations on the camshaft gear damage... if part of a tooth is broken off by some Bad Event, and you remove and replace/repair the device that stalled and broke the tooth off, you can probably not freak out, reassemble, and run this engine for the rest of it's working life. I've personally done this; through my own foolishness (modifying oil pumps) I caused an oil pump to freeze, strip a tooth, zero oil pressure, etc. Engine turned off quick enough to do no harm. Broken tooth on the oil pump. Towed home, I replaced the oil pump, drove that engine for years more. Upon teardown found matching break on the camshaft gear. The following rebuild required replacing the camshaft, but it did no further harm or unusual wear tot he remaining teeth or components. With luck, you might be as lucky. So don't throw the engine away yet.

* If your distrib seized, timing went nuts, stallled the engine then chipped a tooth, replace the gear, or distributor (dont just stick another old one in there!!!!) and move on.

second, STRATEGIC questions to ask before you start... though that is now some time ago...

What's the history of this engine? When was it last torn down? If it's original to the car, never touched, yeah, it's gonna fail. If it's FIFTY YEARS OLD it simply needs to be torn down and freshened. I don't mean to be a party pooper, or all negative, but it is simply unreasonable to expect an antique ngine that's sat for long periods to run without serious interventions first. And you MUST MUST MUST check cylinder head torque etc.

Yeah, I know people will retort with success stories of bumpstarting barn finds with success, but it's unusual luck. And totally dependent on prior condition (usually UNKNOWN). And the 199/232/258 is a totally different motor than the 195.6 OHV, which is based upon a 1940's engine, designed before the interstates were built, and the 1958 addition of the OHV head was a quick-fix, stop-gap hop-up to an ailing motor. It's NOT an engine amenable to certain kinds of abuse (I can back this up with measurements: oiling and cooling and oil-cooling).

So what's the full story on this engine and car?

Edited by tomj - Feb/25/2020 at 10:28pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2020 at 6:28am
If the old distributor with chipped teeth turns freely you have a different problem. If it doesn't, well, that's the problem. The dizzy gear should be made of a softer material than the cam. Look down the dizzy hole while slowly turning the engine by hand and inspect the gear on the cam. If it's missing teeth then you have to replace the cam. It should be okay, only one way to find out!

As TomJ says, the cam gear drives the dizzy AND the oil pump. If the oil light didn't come on the cam gear is probably fine, but it's possible that the engine shut off about the same time the light would have come on. I wouldn't run the engine until I knew that cam gear was okay! It should be okay to turn it over with the starter for a few seconds if you have an oil pressure gauge on it. Remove the spark plugs to take the compression load off he bearings, then turn it for 2-3 seconds -- just until the oil pressure gauge responds. It should go up to 60-70 psi (maybe as low as 40-50 on a well worn engine) almost immediately. If it doesn't, the gear is stripped.
Frank Swygert
al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2020 at 5:29pm
Unfortunately, I looked at the cam and it seems to be chipped as well. I have some pictures of the original distributor I pulled out, and the new one that chipped. The shaft on the original distributor spins freely, but the new distributor is totally locked up, I can't turn it at all.

Here's the new distributor that broke off teeth:

The one above is the original distributor, the teeth on it look fine.

This was an unknown 'barn find' engine, I replaced head gasket, rings, pistons, and rod bearings, and had a valve job done. Re torqued head as well. It was running ok, not great. It ran pretty well right after I replaced the distributor, but then this happened.

Alex
1963 Rambler American 440H
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2020 at 8:19pm
Ouch.
Try to do it all right and still wind up taking it in the shorts

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2020 at 11:43pm
ouch. Yeah, that's a bummer. YOu did a 'freshen' and the distro seized. I've had two "adjust their own timing" (once on a 232, once on a 304 v8) but not enough to do harm, just the big hint.

Odd that teeth stripped in two places, but probably means a gap in the teeth on the cam. Yeah, bad news. Sorry to hear.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2020 at 7:49am
Inspect the cam through the dizzy hole. You might need to get an inspection camera (endoscope). You can get one for an Android phone for as little as $12, a stand-alone for as little as $24!!  Digital camera tech has got cheap!! While it may not be the greatest resolution, any of these cheapies should be good enough to see what's going on. If the chips aren't bad the cam might be okay, but you should probably start looking for another.

Since you have to change the cam talk to Galvin's about their re-ground cam. I think TomJ is running it. I had my stock cam re-ground to provide 0.10" more lift and 20 degrees more duration. It provided more cruising power, did nothing for the low end... woke up a bit 45 mph+ though!! The one Galvin's sells is supposed to improve power in the lower rpm band also.

Frank Swygert
al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2020 at 9:32pm
Ok, I'll see if I can get and endoscope to check it out more closely. With this type of cam, you have to  change the lifters as well, right?
Alex
1963 Rambler American 440H
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2020 at 9:49pm
With any new cam you need new lifters. Those particular mushroom lifters are no longer available. They can be resurfaced, but must also be re-hardened after. A case hardening compound and heat can be used...

Another issue -- the cam has to come out and the lifters pulled FROM THE BOTTOM. You can use rubber bands between pairs of lifters (at the top, side covers off) to hold the lifters up while the came is pulled, and the new lifters up when a new cam is inserted.

Edited by farna - Feb/28/2020 at 9:51pm
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2020 at 1:48am
I would not buy resurfaced lifters for this engine. It's too old, the cores are not good. I HAVE NUMBERS! lol. Documentation here:

The 195.6 is an antique engine. If you go only by casual experience in these forum pages over the last few years, even, most re-run 195.6's don't end well. The OHVs are prone to many failures that the flathead isn't. 

My personal experience with common low-cost rebuilding of them has not been good. Practices that are "good enough" for the 232/258 or other modern-ish engines are not adequate for this engine. Block and head mating surfaces need extra care, mixed flathead and OHV springs, sloppy crank clearances, ... and every single accessory needs to be gone through one by one and very closely. Gun-brush every bore, wear in things no one ever checks. It's hard to find good rings.

They are all simply very old. They were old in the 1970's! I remember them as 80,000 mile engines. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic