TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fiberglass deck lids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markolba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiberglass deck lids
    Posted: Jan/12/2020 at 8:52am
Fellas-
Im in the process of installing a ‘70 Donohue spoiler on my recent ‘68 AMX barn find.
I’m seriously considering purchasing a fiberglass deck lid as to not molest my original steel  one.
Does anyone have any insight as to how the fiberglass lids attach (hinges or pins?).
How sturdy the fiberglass deck lid are?

Thnx in advance 
Marko
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2020 at 7:01pm
I have not used a Javelin/AMX fiberglass decklid but I have used many fiberglass decklids, hoods, fenders etc in the past on customers muscle cars and race cars.

1. There are different makers of the parts, so it would be important to read or call to find out the specifics of the part(s). Is the hinge mount area reinforced or support given for mounting to a hinge. (PS. I have had only one supplier in the past of a specific part, so I had to use a pin on decklid, cut the hinge mount area open, reinforcement with metal and mounting hardware and reinforce again with fiberglass material)
2. As stated above you can modify a decklid to work, if you or someone you know is experienced in custom fiberglass work
3. If the decklid is designed to mount to the hinges, I have found in most cases the spring(s) or torsion bars will need to be removed or replaced with a weaker spring or torsion bar system. On street rods, you see a lot of billet spring struts holding up the decklid or hood. This was not so much for appearance as it is the correction method of replacing the original factory parts that have to much tension. (Although the appearance is an improvement over factory).
Any hot rod shop or custom car shop can assist you or give you pointers on how to set up, install and what is needed to modify for the correct operation of fiberglass body parts attached to hinges
In most cases the cost for all the work may or may be worth it. You could locate a second metal decklid for the same or sometimes less money.
The choice is yours
Hope that helps!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Markolba View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markolba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2020 at 7:48pm
Thank you very much for the info.
I have found several original decklids in the $400 range.

Keep all posted & will post photos when I’m done

Marko
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2020 at 7:31am
The glass lid that i have hinge mounts and a latch mount. Both area's are pretty thick, cracking wouldn't be a problem. If you are mounting a spoiler on the glass one, the torsion bars might not be a problem. 
Markolba View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markolba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2020 at 8:41am
Do you have the supplier info where you got your glass deck lid from?
I’ve reached out to several suppliers but not response in Las few weeks.

Marko

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic