TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

msd integration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetalObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: msd integration
    Posted: Nov/09/2019 at 10:24pm
Hey guys. First post as an AMC fan here so hopefully Im not fudgin it up. I looked around for stickies but couldn't find any for my question.
Anyway, My roomate and I are stumped on a small thing. His 1973 Jav 401 had a really hot coil and voltage regulator one day from a battery charger so I suggested to install an msd ignition and replace the coil. The problem is, the previous "mechanic" did an absurdly bad job wiring and Idk how to fix it. Does anyone have a wiring schematic and a tip on how to wire in the msd 6al? I'd like the tach to work and the car still has points. Thx everyone from AK
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2019 at 6:33pm
Just search Holly Web Site and you can download MSD installation instructions for all there products.
SC Rambler
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2019 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by MetalObsession MetalObsession wrote:

Hey guys. First post as an AMC fan here so hopefully Im not fudgin it up. I looked around for stickies but couldn't find any for my question.
Anyway, My roomate and I are stumped on a small thing. His 1973 Jav 401 had a really hot coil and voltage regulator one day from a battery charger so I suggested to install an msd ignition and replace the coil. The problem is, the previous "mechanic" did an absurdly bad job wiring and Idk how to fix it. Does anyone have a wiring schematic and a tip on how to wire in the msd 6al? I'd like the tach to work and the car still has points. Thx everyone from AK

I would suggest getting a service manual (TSM in AMC speak) so you have the schematic for the car to start with. They sell color coded schematics on ebay as well. Installing a MSD is pretty easy but you usually have to put a diode in to keep the car from running with the ignition switch off. It's been covered on here a number of times so you can search for MSD in the electrical section which should get you results.

You'll need a tach adapter to get the tach to work with MSD.

Edited by Mopar_guy - Nov/10/2019 at 6:53pm

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
MetalObsession View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetalObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2019 at 2:29pm
K cool I’ll check for the schematic. I looked quite a bit through all the diagrams for 401 but most were mislabeled it seemed. 
Msd is in and car runs. 
It shuts off when power is removed from msd so I don’t think I’ll need the diode for whatever reason. 
Ballast resistor for the tach?
Thx
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2019 at 10:15pm
I made this schematic when I did it on a 1969 AMX.
MSD 6 Box, Delco Type AMC Distributor with UniLite Conversion, stock AMC in-dash tach.
But, of the opinion this is for points or UniLite, unsure if same for 'Hal-Effect' distributor like DuraSpark

AndyAnderson66 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyAnderson66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2020 at 8:28am
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

I made this schematic when I did it on a 1969 AMX.
MSD 6 Box, Delco Type AMC Distributor with UniLite Conversion, stock AMC in-dash tach.
But, of the opinion this is for points or UniLite, unsure if same for 'Hal-Effect' distributor like DuraSpark

The content is very valuable. It shows that you spent time researching this and you have managed to turn it into an incredible piece of valuable content.
 If you're interested in watching something about Jeeps, look here -  https://jeepequipment.com/how-to/ 
It's something of a hobby of mine.

Edited by AndyAnderson66 - Jul/27/2020 at 8:34am
Joseph Lamb View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2021 at 5:02pm
di you get the msd to work ???

Joe 
1971 Javelin 360 SST
1973 RS Z28 350 L82 4SPD 38
YEARS

1958 Chevy Biscayne 235 powerglide
1997 Jeep TJ 151 5 speed
1960 Lark Convertible
Joseph Lamb View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2021 at 5:05pm
I guess what I meant to ask you is if the MSD is working well or if you have had any failures with the 6al box ???

Joe 
1971 Javelin 360 SST
1973 RS Z28 350 L82 4SPD 38
YEARS

1958 Chevy Biscayne 235 powerglide
1997 Jeep TJ 151 5 speed
1960 Lark Convertible
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic