TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

79 Spirit at Rockingham Divisional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2019 at 7:05pm
what is it power by  ????
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2019 at 12:22am
"It has the "stock" 304 2 bbl engine."

Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2019 at 10:47am
Many do not realize the power the 302 makes. I put a '79 302 in an '83 Spirit GT last century and all I added was an Edelbrock 4 barrel manifold and 500 CFM carb. Also added a locker kit. That little car screamed; when it ran. It would just stall and wouldn't restart. Wait ten or 15 minutes and it fired right back up. Had the same problem with the '79 GT I restored. That had the 258.

Later!
Mr. Ed

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2019 at 10:33pm
flying tomato - nothing short of awesome imho...  THANK YOU for posting... show'em No Mercy ! Thumbs Up
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2019 at 12:31am
 The 304 in Stock Elim. is really a dog compared to other combinations that run against it. you're limited to run the original carb.,stock configuration block, heads , intake and factory cam lift. Duration is not limited.Also full factory interior.You can remove the heater and anything behind the dashboard. That car was originally campaigned out in the Midwest. The guy actually won a Nat'l event running right on the index. He sold it to a father/son team who had limited success. When Mike Meier bought it he did reasonably well with it, but he was toast on any heads up runs against a car in the class during eliminations.
 The 258 I ran in my gremlin was a much better combo.My biggest archilles heal was the Carter BBD carb. which only flowed 258 CFM. I also did some tricks to aid weight transfer, which I can't divulge, as the car is still running in Div.1.I had some good success with it. I set the Nat'l Record twice,won a divisional event at Atco, won the class Wally 8 times at Nat'l events,came in the Div. 1 Top 8 twice and got down to 3 cars (semi finals) at the 2008 Maple Grove Nat'l event.The best the car ever went was 13.38 at 97 MPH. Then NHRA in their convoluted wisdom gave magical horsepower reductions to the 1970's mustang 289's, which made them stupid fast.Seems like politics finds it's way into every facet of our lives.
 Anybody willing (or crazy or rich enough) who wants to go Stock Elim. racing with a competitive AMC
combo should look at a 68-69 american 2 dr. auto or stick with the 290 4 bbl. engine.You get a 904 Tork. Flite,the 1970 dog leg head is in the guide and a favorable 215 HP rating. Makes a nice L/M/N car based on weight.   
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
flying tomato View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flying tomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2019 at 7:52am
You were flying in that Gremlin! Are you not competing anymore?

I knew going in this combo was not a barn burner. It was a inexpensive way to get started however. There were only 8 Q/SA cars that have competed this year in the US, so my chances of facing one heads up in eliminations are slim. If, after a few more races, my average times are too far off the index, I can ask NHRA for a horsepower adjustment (like the Mustangs). 

NHRA slow averages so far this year (I'm on page 97)

Originally posted by gremlin1945 gremlin1945 wrote:

The 304 in Stock Elim. is really a dog compared to other combinations that run against it. you're limited to run the original carb.,stock configuration block, heads , intake and factory cam lift. Duration is not limited.Also full factory interior.You can remove the heater and anything behind the dashboard. That car was originally campaigned out in the Midwest. The guy actually won a Nat'l event running right on the index. He sold it to a father/son team who had limited success. When Mike Meier bought it he did reasonably well with it, but he was toast on any heads up runs against a car in the class during eliminations.
 The 258 I ran in my gremlin was a much better combo.My biggest archilles heal was the Carter BBD carb. which only flowed 258 CFM. I also did some tricks to aid weight transfer, which I can't divulge, as the car is still running in Div.1.I had some good success with it. I set the Nat'l Record twice,won a divisional event at Atco, won the class Wally 8 times at Nat'l events,came in the Div. 1 Top 8 twice and got down to 3 cars (semi finals) at the 2008 Maple Grove Nat'l event.The best the car ever went was 13.38 at 97 MPH. Then NHRA in their convoluted wisdom gave magical horsepower reductions to the 1970's mustang 289's, which made them stupid fast.Seems like politics finds it's way into every facet of our lives.
 Anybody willing (or crazy or rich enough) who wants to go Stock Elim. racing with a competitive AMC
combo should look at a 68-69 american 2 dr. auto or stick with the 290 4 bbl. engine.You get a 904 Tork. Flite,the 1970 dog leg head is in the guide and a favorable 215 HP rating. Makes a nice L/M/N car based on weight.   
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2019 at 8:47pm
It's worth a try NHRA might take 5 horsepower off 10 if they're really feel generous good luck I'd like to see that call flying
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic