TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torque Tube - Inspection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counsel62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque Tube - Inspection
    Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 4:38pm
Does anyone know of a way to check on the u joints in a torque tube driveline, without dropping the rear end and removing the whole driveline just for a look-see? This is for a 1965 Ambassador, V8, automatic. Thx.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 6:14pm
It's not too bad of a job to pull the diff/torque tube as an assembly. I roll the assembly out on rims without tyres. There is no easy way otherwise.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 9:32pm
any symptoms? driveline vibration? grindy noises? extreme clunk caused by on/off the throttle during light cruise?

know the history of the car? how many miles on it?
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

counsel62 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counsel62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2019 at 7:46am
Thank you for the replies. Bought the car 4 years ago wieh 4' ,000 miles. Excellent condition 287 automatic 880. The car just turned over 88,000 miles on our 770 mile trip from Cruisin the Coast in MS. All was well until about 70 miles from home. All of a sudden it started making a noise from underneath, and vibrating which changed with acceleration. Not as terrible as I have experienced in life with broken u joint, but well more than a trifle. We did make it home on freeway the 70 miles, but there is definitely something wrong, and I suspect u joint due to vibration.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2019 at 8:11am
It's not a wheel balance issue? Might be worth ruling that out before pulling the torque tube out.
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2019 at 2:01pm
There is a bearing supporting the shaft in the middle.   Could be that. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2019 at 11:54pm
the middle bearing tends to minimize vibration, if anything. its just a dumb old sealed bearing, so if it goes bad/gets dry, it ought to GROAN and RUMBLE, not vibrate.

interesting to contemplate what effect that center bearing has on U-joint wear. if it's even marginally intact, i imagine it would lessen the excursions a bad/worn U-joint would make.

the V8 TT driveshaft setup is different from the six. the six has a single joint up front, a slip joint in the rear. the V8 has a constant-velocity setup made of two crosses in a holder up front. yup, ther six has ONE joint, not the two required for constant angular velocity. i have no idea why this works, but it sure does, the TT classic six the smoothest car i ever drove.

these details are in the TSM, and Frank, FARNA here, knows more than i do about this stuff.

also Ujoints dont tend to fail suddenly like that, do they? have you checked the other peculiar TT-specific junk under there? there's the side sill thrust bushings, hiding up along side the rear x-member. there's the big trunnion rubber seal, that both seals out dirt etc and keeps the nose ot the TT centerered (if the rubber falls out, THAT might suddenly make noise). or rear trans mount failure, or two of these? how's the rubber under there? we know it's very old, ... lol.

cruising easy flat and level 45 mph in top gear, does it CLUNK on slight accelleration? CLUNK on slight decel? if you accel light, to take up the slack, does the sound change with added torque? etc

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

counsel62 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counsel62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 8:18pm
Thank you all for the info. I am gonna be away from the car for several weeks, so I won't be able to check out the suggestions for awhile. I will post what I learn from exam though. Thx again.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2019 at 6:29am
Check every other source of possible vibration first. The CV joint has a spring and pin assembly in the section between the two cross joints. The purpose is to keep the two cross joints aligned. If that fails the CV joint will "flop" and you'll get a bad vibration. There are no repair kits that I know of, but Blaser's was talking about having one reproduced a few years ago, you might want to contact them and see. Otherwise, it's get a driveshaft shop to lengthen the front of the shaft (front half is tubular, rear solid)and eliminate the CV joint. 56-62 V-8s only had a single joint. A lot was done to the 63s to make them smoother riding and quieter. Apparently some engineer thought the CV would help. Don't know if it did or not.

The 63-66 Classic has rubber mounts on the ends of the crossmember, between crossmember and body. Those fail before the CV joints. There is a short piece of channel around the rubber mount so that if it does fail the CM won't fall out. If it looks like the CM is sitting on that channel the mount has failed and the CM is moving as you drive. That will cause a vibration, much like a bad transmission mount in a newer car. Galvin's and other vendors have repro mounts for the CM.

My best guess is the CM mounts have failed, not the CV joint. The spring in the CV is over 50 years old now, but those rubber mounts aren't sealed and well, they are rubber...
Frank Swygert
counsel62 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counsel62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2019 at 7:35am
Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic