TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need help with alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2019 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

What you have is a Delco reman of the 55amp Motorola alternator. I've purchased a couple of these but lately what Rock Auto has been shipping as a 55amp alternator is likely the 35 amp alternator because they have the single isolation diode style heat sink and the smaller stator. The part number on the box and the alternators match up but the physical alternator is not correct. Beware. The picture of the 55amp alternator on Rock Auto's site is correct but the alternators they've been shipping recently are incorrect.
I had to return two of them back to back after having received the wrong alternator twice. I included pictures and detailed notes but apparently they don't pay attention to their returns. What's worse, I had to pay the shipping costs back for the second wrong one sent.

I worked on a reman today that was a 35 amp with a 40/55 amp isolation diode on it. 
Worse than that, however, was what I found on the back side. Well, first, the paint was rough, so I cleaned it up a bit and found they had painted over the old paint on the red heat sink. 
I checked out the back as I typically test each diode - and, another case of the pic telling the story, see below.
The diode leads are supposed to go through a hole in the tab that connects it to the bolt, the tab is squeezed a bit for mechanical connection, and then soldered, lead in the middle of the tab. 
Well, one diode of the pair was that way -the far one in this photo. It was an original. 
The one closer in the pic? Check the lead - bent to the side, sloppy chunky cold solder job to the SIDE of the terminal, no mechanical connection at all, just the lead next to the tab and sloppy solder on the side. 
This was a 55 amp isolation diode on a 35 amp reman alternator. That's not horrible in itself, so it's way over capacity, but the kicker is the crappy connection on the back - so call this why I hate reman alternators, chapter 177......

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2019 at 4:47am
That's pretty sad to see work like that. I think rather than getting a rebuild from who knows where and if billd doesn't have the time to do it one would be better off taking it to a local well known re-builder, at least for slip ring clean up, new brushes and bearings. Of course it would help if they were familiar with the Motorola. There is a shop in town here that I have dropped off a couple of unwanted items to and that guy has probably at least a hundred various units on his shelves.

My first experience with a re-build many years ago was a generator from Sears for a 58 Ford. It only lasted a few months and I took it apart for a look see. The armature had previously been all beat up and they had turned the end that runs in the bushing down to less than 1/4". Of course it walked its way through the bushing they had made to fit it.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2019 at 9:14pm
rockauto is a great resource all in all, but yeah, i'm very wary of their "rebuilt" stuff. the Holley 1931 i got, from an allegedly reputable rebuilder, was a garbage core. "re-building" ought to mean something.

accountability is the missing component here.

i posted elsewhere that my alt died and i got a new Delco 10si from a local shop. but that local shop will get all my motor alt and gennie work. they've been around for 45 years, they give 12 month warranties on their work, and you can talk to the folk doing that work. that's accountability.

it's hard to believe these "rebuilders" stay in business. even buffered by the likes of RockAuto or whatever resellers, you'd think at some point the low quality woudl bite back. so far hasn't seem to.

in the last couple years i've actually had to use the phrase "this didn't cost enough". lol.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2019 at 7:08am
Bill, are you back in business doing quality alternator rebuilds ? If so, what turn around time cab be expected ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic