TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Coil over conversion advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2020 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

I see it's offered in a 450 lb spring as well. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-gd507-10450c
FWIW, QA1's only have a one year warranty vs a million mile warranty on Ridetech's plus the Ridetech's are all made in the USA rather than parts of them and assembled here.

I hear ya, good point. I've had double adjustable QA1 shocks on the 70 Challenger for almost 10 years now with no issues. 
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2022 at 7:57pm
Since a few people have asked about this, yeah it's a bit pricey but it's worth it if you drive your car much. Much better ride and you can set your ride height. Don't use the QA1 springs! They sag out as Wooster Kevin found out. I'm pretty sure he's now using Viking springs but I'll check with him. More fine "quality" from QA1......... Ermm

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2022 at 11:53pm
So, what spring to use instead of the QA1? 

Also, why 450 lb springs when the originals were only 307 lb?  Not being critical, just trying to understand.

Does seem like a good way to test the waters with coil overs without having to hack the car up.

Edited by CamJam - Jul/19/2022 at 11:59pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2022 at 5:41am
Kevin is using the Viking 10SP450 spring. There's a formula out there to figure it out but I had weighed my car before I did the Hemi swap and when I ordered the front end from Fat Man, he said 450 is what I needed. I believe the diameter of the spring and wire comes into play but I'm not 100% sure. They work well on Kevin's and Dave's car which both have 360's in them. The work has been done for you and it's proven. And yes, no cutting up anything, it's a bolt in swap.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2022 at 10:29am
Thanks for that info, Keith.  I do like the idea of having adjustable coils.

So, if I have this right, here's what I'd need:

Ridetech 24149905 Shock
Viking 10SP450 Spring

I'm not quite clear on details of turning down the axle in the spring perch, but I suppose it would become clearer once I'm looking at all the parts.  Does the spring perch go away entirely then except for saving (and modifying) the pivot axle out of it?  If that's the case, it seems like the lack of the rubber bushing in the spring perch might transmit more road noise?  Would not otherwise break my heart to get rid of the perches since they're now made of unobtanium.

What amazes me is that right now my '73, on its worn-out factory suspension, rides pretty well with modern 17" tires and wheels... better than my '72, which has 14" tires and wheels.  The '72 front end was rebuilt using Moog 3112 front springs and I suspect that's the problem.

I'm a little afraid to mess up the '73, since it drives so nicely, so I'll probably use the '72 as my guinea pig.  I'll be pulling the 360 out of the '73 after I get back from Kenosha so it might be a couple months until I get back to the springs.

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2022 at 10:56am
Cam, the best way to make your 72 feel like it rides better is to get a 2 seat AMX. Then, it won't seem so bad.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2022 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

Cam, the best way to make your 72 feel like it rides better is to get a 2 seat AMX. Then, it won't seem so bad.

Been there, done that, Alex!  LOL

johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 3:08pm
This is one clean installation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic