TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX Radio Speaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2019 at 6:17am
Sorry for the confusion. Our AMC radios can work with speakers rated at 4 or 8 ohms. The monaural (non stereo) radios used only one speaker that in earlier cars was rated at 3.2 ohms which was an industry standard impedance rating at the time. Later, sometime in the mid to late 60s to early 70's, the speaker impedance rating systems were changed slightly so 3.2 ohm rated speakers became 4 ohm rated. Other speaker ratings at the time were typically 8 ohms and 16 ohms. These ratings were a hold over from the old days where radios and audio amplifiers, both automotive, as well as those for home use, used vacuum tubes. These early solid state (transistorized) AMC   radios, primarily made by Motorola, can be safely used with either 4 ohm or 8 ohm impedance speakers as long as you're using only one speaker. When used with the rear speaker option a fader control was included that compensated for the impedance of the two speakers working together.

Not to get too technical, but an impedance rating is not quite the same as a resistance rating even though the rating is still measured in ohms. Think of resistance as DC (direct current) rating and impedance as being an AC (alternating current) rating. A speaker works with an audio signal which is an alternating current. It also happens that a speaker is a form of motor. Since a speaker has moving parts and those parts work within a magnetic field the "resistance" of the speaker's voice coil varies with the audio signal as this coil is moving within a magnetic field. This motion increases the "resistance" of the speaker as it operates. This increase variation is on the order of 2X to 10X the actual DC resistance measurement which is the minimum rating.
The long and the short of it is that you're safe with any single modern speaker rated at 4 or 8 ohms. You want to keep the "load" the radio see's at about 4 ohms or higher. If you go much higher than 8 ohms then the radio will not be able to deliver as much audio power into the speaker as the power output goes down as the speaker impedance goes up. Conversely, as the speaker impedance goes down the radio's power output ability goes up. Having a speaker impedance load of less than about 3 ohms draws too much current from the radio and under certain conditions, like having the volume control turned up too loudly, will overload the amplifier's power transistor(s)and potentially cause a failure.

The speakers sold today, are with very few exceptions, far, far better than the OEM speakers that were used in our cars. In addition, these new speakers use much more efficient magnets, voice coils and other key parts so by using one of the new, modern speakers your radio will play more loudly and have a much better sound quality even with the limited output power capability (about 4 to 5 watts) of our original equipment radios.

Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2019 at 11:29am
I took out the blown original speaker out of my 70 Javelin, single dash speaker. I currently have a modern "universal" 4x10 variable impredence 4-10 ohm speaker in it's place. It seems to work fine, though I have not tried it at high volumes for long periods of time, partly because I was not entirely sure it would not hurt the original am/fm radio. 

I tried to find someone to re-cone my original speaker, but no luck. Instead I bought an 8-10 ohm reproduction speaker from S+M electronics, their slimline 4x10, unit and will be installing it next time I have the dash apart. I think it is correct. I spoke with the maker and he seemed knowledgeable. It cost $49.95 and seems like a nice unit. 

Chris 
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2019 at 4:10am
Other than the visual cosmetics, which you can't see anyway when the speaker is installed, there's no reason to use the OE speaker or to have one reconed. These AMC OEM speakers were of the lowest sound quality. Simple paper cones, nothing special at all. Any of the new, modern speakers, especially those that offer a separate tweeter, will produce much better sound and in most cases are more efficient as well.   
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2019 at 4:29am
One more thing about the sound quality of the speakers and audio systems used in our cars. I've bench tested my OEM AMC radios made by Motorola. The AM/FM used in my 69 AMX and the vertical style AM/FM used in my 67 DPL. When bench tested using a quality "hi-fi" name brand bookshelf speaker with an 8" woofer or larger these radios actually sound quite good and have adequate power.
In the case of my 69 AMX and my 67 Ambassador AMC used a group of small diameter holes through the speaker trim cover on the AMX and basically the same arrangement in the dash pad of the Ambassador. These holes have some depth due to the thickness of the padding material. Ideally a speaker grille needs to be as open and acoustically transparent as possible to leave as much of the surface area of the speaker face open to allow the sound to pass unimpeded. The open area of these holes is far less than the surface area of the speaker cone and not only block a good bit of the high frequencies coming out of the speaker they also muffle and degrade the tonal quality appreciably. There's nothing that can be done about this so my advice for those of us who have 68 and 69 Javelins and AMXs and 67 and 68 Rebels, Ambassador and Marlins is not to spend a lot of money for a "super premium" 4x10 dash speaker as much of the sound quality will be lost once it's installed. A basic 4x10 coaxial type speaker will be just fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic