TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"Lexan" scoop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 7:15pm
I found a place that makes custom "domes" and shapes, have started to contact them and see what they can "mold"

>>It is not that difficult to fabricate a 2'', 4", 6" etc high air cleaner base adapter<<

LOL - remember, I live in Iowa - materials are not easy to get here. I actually did try a couple of years ago - the issue is making something that will sit on the air horn, seal with the gasket, and also fit the air cleaner base because even stock factory made air cleaners aren't a good fit on Edelbrock air horns - getting them to sit nicely and seal........

I even bought some Edelbrock spacers that are made specifically to raise air cleaners so I could use a lower air cleaner and raise it with their adapters - what a joke. Really loose on the air horn so you had to manually center it or it would go off the edge on one side, and then it didn't fit the air cleaner base at all. Gave up on that after buying 6 different adapters and two different pairs of air cleaners. Nothing matched. And no one stocks anything here so it's all mail order - hoping it fits because you can't walk in, open a box and try it. 

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 9:30pm
that ferrari ... cover? shows a good method of attaching. metal lips allow springing a U-bent plexi (whatever) sheet, avoiding stress concentrations at the fasteners. that's something you could make at home.

PET plastic (polyethylene terephthalate) (you dont often get to type phth) (or say it, for that matter) is bendable, i've used it a number of times, bought it from MSC Direct (i'm sure many places). if it's a scoop or similar, it's open to the air; underhood heat can at least exit. while at 150F it might soften, it wont' sag, so held in a metal system like the ferrari seems very likely to survive engine heat hot/cold and sunlight.

also, relatively thin, but bent into a U, it will be very stiff and stable a shape.

i made clear Hornet tail lights from it, that worked fine. it's a little gummy, clamp when drilling. it also doesn't crack like styrenes. cheap enough to experiment with. not as heavy as actual brand Lexan (which is very heavy!). comes with a clear release film so you can Sharpie it, cut then peel in place.

at the Autobooks store in Burbank they sell mouse pads (erm, remember those) with a ferrari bubble, streamline shape, but "scoop shaped" with the open end filled with chromed mesh to keep fingers and road debris out. looks amazing. i guess all the grit down the bores doesn't matter as much when you blow an engine up every year.

the flat/domed type foam filters work great, flow great, lots of surface area in a small space. they'd work great under a plexi type bubble. i had one on my weber setup. thought it was K&N but it's not, i got it from racetep.com. but it's a sports car look, not american muscle car or hot rod look. YMMV, etc.

Edited by tomj - Sep/15/2019 at 9:34pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 9:55pm
The Ferrari pic did make me rethink the mounting to use aluminum angle outside and a drilled threaded strip inside to hold the pc and give a sealing surface. I think this is gonna work ...will see what that other compamy says. On phone at airport picking up wife just back from Switzerland i hate teent keyboards!
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2019 at 12:07pm
Woke up and first thought was how tall can 8" dia  air cleaner be from the hood surface with a 12" diameter half-pipe hood scoop and be a safe inch away from the sides. Answer 3-1/4". If the 8" dia air cleaner is only 1/2" away from the sides of the half-pipe scoop the air cleaner can be 4'' above the hood.

A 6" dia air cleaner can be 4-1/2" above the hood and one inch away from the sides. 

Simple to determine when using graph paper four squares to the inch.. Make 12" diameter circle, draw a radius line, measure or count the little squares to calculate width and height in relation to circumference. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2019 at 2:36pm
Yeah, but I'd have to ask my wife if I could use a sheet of her graph paper she uses for mapping out quilt designs.  Wink

I need to go measure the hole in the hood, the front to back distances, width of hole, height of air cleaners and so on. 
I have it under a car cover now because my garage space is taken up by construction/remodeling materials for the house and something had to leave the garage. Guess who lost....

There needs to be some allowance for engine shake under normal operation. It's not a lot - but I can mock something up and see how far things move while driving, taking off in forward and reverse, engine lift and so on. (if a mount breaks all bets are off but I won't worry about that - I'd have other things to think about if that happened)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic