TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New member with a 71 SST doing a 360 swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2019 at 6:38am
The speedo gear on a Jeep TH400 is in the transfer case, the main trans case isn't machined to take a speedo gear -- it's not in the output shaft housing but the main case. That's why the mod posted by AMXFSTBK390 is needed. You also have to change the output shaft from a standard GM 2WD model TH400, which means the trans has to come apart, so it needs to be rebuilt to convert to 2WD.

I don't know about the Jeep 727. It still has to come apart (rebuilt) to be converted to 2WD (from common Mopar 2WD parts). But I don't know if the case needs modifying for the speedo gear. I don't think so -- the speedo gear is in the output shaft housing and on the output shaft on the 727, so it should be speedo ready when converted.
Frank Swygert
JakeSchultz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeSchultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2019 at 10:09am
Well thank you to everyone for all the info and such, but I don't think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a trans swap. I don't really need performance, and the car will be driven short distances. Also I can do a trans swap further down the road.
What I've decided to do is either put a flat flange crankshaft in the 360, or is it possible since the motor is at the machine shop that they could machine the crank to be a flat flange, and not stepped.
I know y'all are gonna frown and using the BW trans, but I just wanna get the car back on the road ha.

Thanks y'all
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2019 at 10:16am
I responded to your other thread before seeing this, TH400s are great transmissions, but 904s and 727s came factory installed in these cars and is a much simpler swap, you can probably find a 2wd 727 or 904 (v8 version) fairly easily.  (no machining for speedos) and you will probably be able to find a used driveshaft for sale if you post a wanted ad.  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2019 at 6:59am
You should be fine as long as the trans is in good shape and you're just cruising around and not dogging it and showing off a lot. Not much you can do to beef up that trans without a full rebuild, and even then you're limited in increasing power handling capability. You should be bale to have the crank machined flat. Remove the pilot bushing if there is one too. You might need to install a pilot bushing the right size for the BW torque converter. I'd take the converter to the machine shop and let them check that as well. If you decide to get a 904/998/727 later (the 2WD models aren't so easy to find since it must come from an AMC car, production ended in 1983!) there is a bolt-on crank adapter available. A Jeep 4.0L 2WD trans will also work -- the AW4 -- from a 2WD CXJ Cherokee. Not to hard to adapt, there is a good AW4 swap page in the trans section (sticky). Jeep used a 999 (slightly upgraded 998) through 2006 in the Wrangler, but it would have to be converted from 4x4.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic