TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T96 shift linkage slop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minimort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T96 shift linkage slop
    Posted: Aug/21/2019 at 5:24pm
hi! I have a ‘64 Classic with the 195.6 and T96 on the column. The shift linkage seems to go out of alignment and will refuse to engage gears occasionally, making driving it a very sketchy situation. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help the linkage align better to slip more smoothly into gear? Or perhaps an exploded view of the shifter to show what it should look like? Thanks in advance !!
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2019 at 5:37pm
Are the bushings original? What about the engine Mounts?
If there's any chance of the engine shifting slightly, you'll be chasing adjustments forever.
minimort View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minimort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2019 at 7:08pm
My best guess is that everything is original. Does Galvin’s sell bushings and mounts?
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2019 at 8:17pm
I looked at their online catalog and see the grommets used on the underhood shift rods. There are mounts there buy you would have to look or speak with them. I'm not sure if I'm seeing the correct pieces since my antique is a little later model than yours.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2019 at 9:13pm
there's probably wear and slop in every moving joint. the pivot where the lever enters the pot-metal housing behind the steering wheel is a major source. at the lower end of the shift tube are fairly hard parts that likely haven't had a real lubricant in them since the 1970's.

though it's later, 1968 American, i got my T96 column shifter to work just great. you're lucky in that 1964 doesn't have all the complexity of 68 and up... personally, my approach would be to extract the steering column from the car, take it to pieces, find worn-out parts, replace those, lubricate well and adjust it.

the shifter portion of that work isn't that hard. the difficulty is the stuff at the steering wheel end, and the fact that for 1964 you need the strange concentric steering wheel puller.

if you flatly don't want to yank it, you can do these things:

1) certainly replace the shift linkage rubbers, but also check for wear at the transmission end too. there may be nylon inserts in there, all worn out. it's possible those wore out bak in 1980, and it's been metal to metal since then, and the holes are ovalled and the shift rods worn to nubs. not hard to pull out and look. just greasy!

2) find the adjustment mechanisms (three bolts, a rotating end piece) and loosen it way up, use solvent on a paintbrush and wire brush and clean all the crud out of the working end pieces. then use a paint brush to pack as much high-quality grease as you can in there, then adjust the end play. it will be a chore to do this with the column in place but if it's a six, and you don't have power brakes, probably doable. also do the linkage alignment in the TSM (stick a 1/4" rod or drill in the holes, adjust the trunnions, etc). the latter requires that the shift levers to the transmission are in good shape.

3) the following will result in a visibly obvious repair: drive out the pin at the shift lever, and very carefully, drill the hole out to 1/4", squarely, not wobbling a hand drill around and make a cone shaped hole (this is better done off-car, in a drill press, the shifter cup mounted in a vise). then do the same for the hardened shifter lever. you'll ruin a bit here. (ideally: drill the TOP portion 1/4", the lower portion whatever the size is for a 1/4-28 tap; then tap the bottom portion). then replace the pin with a 1/4" - NF bolt. i used a 2" or 1.5" bolt so it had a 5/8" unthreaded shoulder, cut it so only 1 thread poked out the bottom. assembl3de lever with this new "pin", start one thread, put a finger-dab of blue loctite in the threads underneath, and a drop of oil under the bolt head, then tightened the bolt.

buy a fancy bolt with a pretty head (black oxide allen head, button head, or chromed, etc) and it's not noticable.

or, of course, find NOS steering column parts and replace them.

here's what i did long ago for a '63 Flashomatic column shifter...

Edited by tomj - Aug/21/2019 at 9:15pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 6:28am
Check for slop in the shifter as Tomj mentioned first. You can tighten the shifter some at the base of the column. There are either two or three small screws that hold the bottom of the column in. They are in slotted, angles holes. Loosen the screws and twist to take up some slack. Not much adjustment there though. I've tried rotating the end piece and drilling new holes, but it's nylon and very brittle by now -- the ones I tried to drill always cracked. You can pull the column and make a wood plug to replace the nylon piece. A hardwood is preferred, but even pine will work fine. Grease it real good and it will last a long time.

The first thing to check though is the rubber grommets where the shift rods go into the linkage. The originals are a hard rubber with a steel insert. You can't use grommets like you find at a hardware store -- too soft. Galvins has them.

Finally, check the rubber mounts on the ends of the transmission crossmember, between "frame" and crossmember ends. The crossmember isn't supposed to be sitting down on those metal ends, should be 3/4" or so above them. The ends wrap around the crossmember so it won't fall out if the rubber mounts fail. Some make a metal end to replace the rubber, but Galvin's has the rubber mounts. If those are worn out consider replacing the motor mounts as well. The trans/rear axle push on the crossmember and motor mounts -- less so the transmission mount. The motor mounts have probably been replaced at some point, the crossmember rubber mounts are usually forgotten. The 64-66 big Ramblers are the only cars I know of to employ such mounts.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 10:25pm
oh good point! bad motor and transmission mounts will push on the shifter rods.

yeah, the rubber-isolated thrust bushings, between the transmission x-member and side sills, are almost universally neglected and forgotten. dunno if you can buy replacements but i made replacements for my '63 classic by 'turning down' common bushings in a drill press.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

minimort View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minimort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2019 at 10:41pm
thanks Farna and TomJ! It seems to be a lot better now that everything was taken apart and adjusted. I have some other questions for you, Farna, but they may need a PM as to not inundate you with posts from different parts of the board
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2019 at 6:28am
A PM is fine, but you can post to the board. I don't have ALL the answers, someone else may be better able to answer some questions.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic