TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC-ish A/C question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtwask01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC-ish A/C question
    Posted: Aug/19/2019 at 2:24pm
Working on a front end wrecked 93 Cherokee XJ (not technically AMC but designed by AMC) that still has the original R-12 system.  The condenser was bent in the wreck but did not leak out refrigerant.  I do not have access to an a/c recovery machine and was looking for a way to get the condenser out of the way to do front end work.  This system has compressor isolation valves like many of the early AMC systems did.  It also has this fitting (see image) on the receiver drier that looks very familiar to the one on my 69 Javelin drier.  Based on what 401Matadorcoupe told me when asking about the fitting was that this was a means of splitting the evaporator, expansion valve and hoses from the condenser and drier assembly and that during production the evaporator could be "overcharged" with refrigerant and once connected to the fitting on the drier it would distribute the refrigerant throughout the whole system.  So my questions are 1) is this fitting on the 93 Cherokee drier the same thing as the earlier AMC isolation fittings and 2) would this be able to once again split this system up and I could isolate the condenser, drier and discharge hose from the rest of the system.  

Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Matt
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2019 at 6:08pm
Great question, to which I haven't the answer. But, I can't imagine how you'll keep all air out of the system once you crack that fitting. Even a small amount of air is undesirable.  That said, the R-12 system would tolerate it a little better than later refrigerants.

If you do lose the R-12, I can attest to the effectiveness of ES-12 as a direct replacement.  Compatible with mineral oil.  I've had it in my Gremlin for 18 months now, and it has been amazing in the Alabama heat.  It's cheap, too, because you only use 1/3rd the weight compared to R-12. I chose the heavy duty ES12 which can charge into a vacuum.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic