TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Piston rings 401 standard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2019 at 6:35pm
"Follow the book - no problems." 
  That's where I started, going by what the TSM said. Also the instructions with the rings I bought said nothing of the second ring having a larger gap. When the store I bought them from called tech support they agreed there was a problem and to send them back. So I'm thinking too hard?
  So now I've reached out to Grant Rings and they have the rings but not the oil ring expander. Since I'm not in a hurry I'll see how that plays out. Looks like I still have options available.

Dave Z
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2019 at 6:43pm
Yes, youn are thinking too hard. Big smile
I have 2 sets of standard rings if you need them.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2019 at 7:09pm
Don't sweat the larger gap thing - seriously. Buy the rings from Rick and be done.
I follow the TSM and the general rules and don't get side-tracked. 
Dave Z View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2019 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Don't sweat the larger gap thing - seriously. Buy the rings from Rick and be done.
I follow the TSM and the general rules and don't get side-tracked. 

The large gap thing contradicts the TSM. The large gap things appears to me to be the side track, although I see now it may in fact be correct. I'm going to wait for Grant rings to get back to me.

Dave Z
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2019 at 6:10am
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
NitroAMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NitroAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2019 at 3:45pm
Do you have the old 1971 401 pistons? I am in need of one fell off my work bench and hit just right and broke skirt.
amx390ssc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx390ssc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 6:47am
Listen to class guy couldnt be better said!!!

Aris
Dave Z View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 9:50am
  Okay, so here's what I ended up doing. I went back to the parts store and got the second set of Mahle rings before they were sent back. They are .040 over Chevy 400 rings.
 Gosh, I feel like I need to defend myself for "thinking too hard". I've rebuilt small engines before, mostly two strokes. This is the first time I've assembled a V8 engine. If you've done something a hundred or a thousand times, you know what to do and don't have to think about it. Being my first, I want to learn why I'm doing something. In my trade I don't tell people working for me "do this because I said so", I tell them why they should do something.
 The information from the TSM, ring manufacturers and actual parts didn't match up. The factory TSM for the specific engine I'm working on should be correct, why wouldn't it be? So before I do something that doesn't agree with the TSM, I want to find out why. It seems old ways of doing things sometimes die hard. Old school theory seems to have the second ring helping to seal compression. After plenty of research and testing the current theory is the second ring helps control oil and is not used to seal compression. Even a ring manufacturer told me there's a lot of people who stick with the older concept and in his words the two camps are like Democrats and Republicans, you'll never get them to agree.
 So after educating myself, I'm convinced the current theory is correct. Now that I've done that, I won't have to think about it again. But the first time through I did.
 Also, it seems the clearances listed in the TSM are too tight on the low end for both rings and bearings. But I probably put too much thought into that.

Dave Z
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 2:35pm
I was going to suggest Northern Auto Parts but it looks like you already have it sorted out. It could be too that theirs are not std. size.

Edited by vinny - Oct/20/2019 at 3:09pm
Dave Z View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by NitroAMX NitroAMX wrote:

Do you have the old 1971 401 pistons? I am in need of one fell off my work bench and hit just right and broke skirt.
I didn't change pistons.

Dave Z
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic